The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Wanted-Advise for first-time horse purchase. (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/wanted-advise-first-time-horse-purchase-2204/)

Thisskyeishuman 06-12-2007 12:35 AM

Wanted-Advise for first-time horse purchase.

Hi Guys -waves-
I'm Skye, and not only am I new to this forum, I'm new to shopping for horses, and anything horse related as far as it goes =].

I'm 17 years old, and have finnaly managed to scrounge up enough money from my minimum wage job to start thinking about buying and boarding a horse. I plan on boarding the same place my Friend and fellow employee does, if they have room, and at 250 dollars a month (full service) it's almost my entire paycheck, but my parents are willing to help out too, leaving me enough money to put gas in my eco friendly car, (lol, I drive a camry that gets amazing gas mileage <3). I've put away almost $500 dollars to put towardsa an initial payment on a horse, in hopes that if the horse is selling for more than 500 dollars that they will let me pay for it month by month, until it is completly mine, if that makes sense, kind of like Leasing-to-own.

I know what I'm looking for, something shorter, stockier, as I'm planning to run poles and barrels, but also something that would be a good pleasure ride. I'm looking for an old young horse, possible between the ages of 9-14, so it can teach me a few things, but is willing to learn it self. Though I am a first time buyer I am not inexperianced with horses, I've ridden green-broke mares and helped my aunt train her horses (she doesn't have horses any more, tragically, on new years day, about three years ago now, her brood mare was stolen out of her pasture along with a two geldings and another mare, all who have yet to be recovered, with worse fear being they ended up at slaughter).

I went out to tractor supply co today to run an estimate of how much the basic were going to cost me, so far I know I need:

Saddle
Bridel
Halter
Lead
Grooming supplies
curry
hoof pick
dandy brush
(anything else let me know, I'm slightly clue less)
saddle pad
helmet
(anything else let me know, I'm still a little clue less)

And I picked up a book about preparing for your first horse.

I will say I'm a horse-girl, I have a book shelf full of horse books, and I've read them all multiple times, from cover to cover, and it's amazing how it actually happening makes you seem so unprepared.

Well I just wanted to say thanks ahead of time.

lots of love.
Skye

Horse_love999 06-14-2007 09:18 AM

First i would like to say Good luck.....and im glad to hear you have a plan about the budget and that your aware of that =] And also, when you think about the size of the horse, you said you wanted a small, one....well if your still gonna grow, you could grow out of it, but you also said stockey which means it more muscular and porkey (lol) that could be good too. And you have pretty much the basics down, but also what about boots (if yoiu dont already have any) and maybe you can even show with him/her (if you want to), so you would need show shirts, chaps, or jocs, show shirts, and jackests, and for the horse you will need a balnket for the winter. And if you want to trailer him, you mite want shipping boots, and shipping blanket and such. Also for the stall, shavings 9is yor barn going to provide them for you and hay as well), bucket for stall, and also very improtant do you have wormers so you can worm him monthley. And the another very very important thing, Vet and Ferrier are you going to use the vet and ferrier that your vet has, or another one? To me it sounds like you thought about it and i wish you the best of luck!! Have fun with your horse when you get him/her.

.:Chelsea:. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Thisskyeishuman 06-14-2007 11:44 AM

Well the place I intend on boarding is all inclusive, so I get everything, grain, hay, a mucking, a lower prices for vet/farrior visits. As for growing, I haven't grown even a half inch the past 5 years, so my Dr. and I are pretty content with the fact that I'm not getting any taller, unfortunetly, because if I hit the 5'6 mark I'd have killer height and therefor wouldn't have been kicked off the volleyball team "because It's not the right sport for me....". ugh.

I'm probably more prepared to make the transition into horse ownsership then I think, I'm a bookwarm, I own over 100 horse (education type) books, and I've read them all cover to cover, atleast once; But I am also a worrywort, and no book will ever get you prepared like actually living it does.

=]

Thanks for the advise.

lovemydwb 06-14-2007 07:33 PM

Horse

Hi,
I'm a new horse owner myself and luckily there are very sweet sellers out there that will let you make payments on your horse. If you're looking for something smaller for barrels or pleasure I'd look into quarter horses or paints (something like that). I love quarter horses and as you probably know they're a more mellow breed that also isn't as large as the warmbloods or draft horses. As a new horse owner I'd advise that you have some money saved up to buy more supplies after you get your horse, you never know what you're going to need. My parents had to buy me tons of stuff that I had no idea I would need! Best of luck to finding the horse for you, let me know how it goes!

Thisskyeishuman 06-14-2007 09:17 PM

lovemydwb, we are exact opposites=]

I make lists, tons and tons of lists, I currently have a composition book full of them (I've been compiling it over years, it started falling apart, so I "recovered" it with duct tape) it has an unexplainable ammount of information in it, like what my vet kits, and grooming kits should contain-- and after my next paycheck I'll have around 600 dollars, hopefully and will start actually buying things for the horse... that I don't have. that sounds weird. better prepared than not, I guess. =]

lovemydwb 06-14-2007 10:19 PM

Well my horse also came to us a little sooner than I thought so we were kind of in a big rush to get everything that I didn't have. Let me know if you find a horse!

incognito 06-16-2007 03:51 PM

Do you have any horses in choosing yet? :)

Thisskyeishuman 06-17-2007 02:03 PM

well. If I can work something out with the owner, I'm going to go take a look at the appendix mare, since the buckskin was priced for his looks (he was handsome though) and not his training or ability. I doubt they will be able to work with my income however, since she is priced so low, and I'll probably have to keep on looking.

giget 06-18-2007 01:03 AM

Thisskyeishuman all i can say is look on EBAY i was outfitting my mare very cheaply as i was in the process of selling my other horse so had no money i outfitted my mare for about $150. that included saddle,bridle,blanket.

Friesian Mirror 06-18-2007 01:16 PM

Here are a few things you might want to pick up as well, and you should be able to get all of this at the TSC :D I'm not sure what the boarding place will have that you can use.

Scarlett oil - For cuts and scratches
Iodine Shampoo - For Rainrot and other fungus
Thrush Bomb(or similar product) - For thrush
Some type of fly spray - For flies :wink:
Horse Shampoo/Mane and Tail Conditioner - For baths
Cowboy Magic - It's a great mane and tail detangler
Soft Brush - Great for flicking off dust and making them shine
Mane and Tail brush -
Sweat Scraper - For scraping off water after a bath, or sweat
Tool box - It's a cheap, easy to find grooming box! Black and Decker and Stanley are good brands, but any will do. My dad has a Stanley tool box with 2 little flip-top compartments (perfect for small things) that I wish I could swipe :wink:
Peppermints! - You need a few treats :D
Spare Hoof pick - It's so easy to lose this darn thing :roll:
Hose - If your stable doesn't have one that you can use. For baths and you can wash cut's and wounds if you need too.

I hope this helps!! You don't have to buy everything there, but they are very useful and alot of it isn't too terribly expensive. If you can't find it at the TSC, then if you have a Co-op nearby, they'll have it. Also, when you get your horse, the people at your stable will be able to help you if you need it. :D Good luck!!