The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   PNH: toes out or toes in? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/pnh-toes-out-toes-220578/)

Northern 06-26-2013 06:43 AM

PNH: toes out or toes in?

Linda, in the red Level 1 pack, says to let one's legs relax & toes fall out, "like Charlie Chaplin". She also demonstrates by "riding" a student, how painful it is for the horse to be ridden with one's toes in (student agreeing that toes in is uncomfortable). Yet, iirc, with the advent of Colleen Kelly on the PNH scene, the directive has changed to "toes in". Is anyone up to date in this area? TIA!:-P

bsms 06-26-2013 11:02 AM

Based on this, it looks like toes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgwJbvWcXlk

Not a Parelli guy, so I can't give you a better answer based on PNH.

Northern 06-26-2013 04:20 PM

Thanks for video, bsms! Yes, here, Colleen changes the entire Charlie Chaplin mode, for a turned-in, from the hip sockets down (says that inside of thigh & knee should be against horse, not just toes in) mode.

So, how does PNH square this new directive with the old? Is "ride like Charlie Chaplin" another misdirective, like the "BS rein", that should be discarded?

bsms 06-26-2013 04:36 PM

I can't answer that from a PNH perspective. I don't follow Parelli, so it wouldn't be fair to make a guess.

Personally, my thought is it really depends on the person and their goals. Some types of riding allow feet up to 45 deg out. Others want toes front. A beginner may be best off doing whatever keeps their leg relaxed, but then change with time to whatever sport they follow. But I don't know what Parelli teaches...

Northern 06-26-2013 04:44 PM

bsms, I understand that since you're not a PNH student, you don't have the answer to this; my second question was directed to the students here. Sorry if you thought I was questioning you further.

amberly 07-05-2013 07:09 PM

If you are talking about the position of riding for western, then you should have your heels down and toes slightly out. Not like sticking out, but relaxed out and heels down.

LoveDanceRide 07-08-2013 12:00 AM

It should be toes in because then if your toes are out and your wearing spurs, then you'll constantly be spurring the horse, even if you shouldn't be. Personally, toes in is something my coach is constantly telling me to fix :S

Northern 07-08-2013 03:55 AM

Are either of you PNH students?

AnrewPL 07-08-2013 08:40 AM

The guy who taught me most of what I know learned directly off Parelli, not videos or clinics, but used to go to his place in the US and learn from the guy himself (I guess it didn’t cost an arm and a leg back in the early eighties) and he, my friend, always taught me to ride with my toes in. don’t know if that was his idea or Parelli's but thats what he taught me.

AnrewPL 07-08-2013 08:41 AM

mind you though, I do get a bit lazy and let them turn out a bit.