The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Pregnant Mini? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/pregnant-mini-220706/)

Ladybug2001 06-26-2013 12:58 PM

Pregnant Mini?

528 Attachment(s)
I can't believe I'm posting on this forum once more... its been about two years.

Alright, I'm sure y'all want the story.

In January this guy was trying to get rid of a mini colt that was just born, told us it'd be a few months until he was weaned. My mom seemed excited, but I wasn't interested. The guy also threw in the colt's mom, or at least I remember it has his mom.

Come May, he talks my mom into taking not one mini... but two minis. Said they were half-siblings. The colt he said was almost a year old, though in January it was just born? He also said the filly was almost two.

They were running with a stallion, and here we are in June almost July and I believe the mare is pregnant. I noticed movement on her lower side the other day and again today.

I didn't notice anything like this when we first got them, but then again they are just recently letting us touch then. The mare has always let us pet her for a split second but now she lets us rub on her.

So.... Is it possible she is pregnant?

Also, while were at it, does she look like a coming two year old? Or more of a 3-4 year old?

Here is a few pictures.-

The udder picture, I'm not sure if you can see but is supposed to show some build up on her teats. Can't touch without getting a possible kick so I couldn't tell for sure what it is.

Attachment 219410

Attachment 219418

Attachment 219426

Attachment 219434

CLaPorte432 06-26-2013 01:16 PM

893 Attachment(s)
She does look like a 2 year old in my opinion.

only way to know for certain if she is pregnant is to have a check out to check her.

Of course its possible she is. I know yearlings that were "accidently" bred.

to me, she just appears plump and well fed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ladybug2001 06-26-2013 01:19 PM

528 Attachment(s)
Yup, we know that is definitely the only way we would know. Other then a weefoal test which is what we did for Lena and was more helpful than a vet...

I'm hoping its just she is well fed because this mare hardly lets me touch her. Though, I'm trying to get a good picture or video of what I"m seeing, but the moment I get close to her she either walks away or one of my boys comes to get my attention and she gets ran off.

waresbear 06-26-2013 01:20 PM

She doesn't look in foal to me however that means nothing! Only way to be sure is to have vet check her. Cute little thing!
Posted via Mobile Device

MyLittlePonies 06-26-2013 03:46 PM

She's so cute! I don't think she's pregnant either but when in doubt call a vet. She looks just like a two year old.
Posted via Mobile Device

HorseLovinLady 06-27-2013 01:06 AM

She don't look bred to me either, but i'm no expert lol. Off topic but how's Phoenix doing?

FeatheredFeet 06-27-2013 02:23 PM

Pretty little thing. In case she is pregnant, you need to start working with her asap, since Minis are notorious for having foaling problems and if she needs help, she will need to let you.

The vet must be called to check her. Geld the colt, asap or he will breed her, if he hasn't already. Keep them separated for at least 6 weeks after gelding.

Lizzie

Ladybug2001 06-27-2013 10:59 PM

528 Attachment(s)
I've been working with her and the colt a lot. In the last few days they both have busted out of their shells and run up to me to be petted and loved on. She is really touchy about me leaving my hand on her side where I am seeing what makes me think she is pregnant. I will be getting the vet out soon and right now I have no area to keep him separate but I'm about to be moving to where I will be able to.

FeatheredFeet 06-27-2013 11:37 PM

You must keep him separated from the filly, so you don't produce yet another unwanted Mini to try to rehome. It is the only responsible thing to do.

Lizzie