The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Attn: Arabian breeders (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/attn-arabian-breeders-22071/)

gsarrow 02-05-2009 12:48 AM

Attn: Arabian breeders

There is now a dna test for CA. Here is the link to UC Davis....Horse Tests
For those of you that would like to learn about this Disease here is the link about it. Cerebellar Abiotrophy Arabian F.O.A.L. Association
There is a small chance of getting an affected foal...But for the 50 for the dna test is worth it. I would not like to see what has happen to us happen to someone else.
We own 3 purebred Arabian foals. 2- 2 year olds and one weanling and she has this disease.. only foal from last year. don't gamble test before you breed. This is a new test.. Plus info About CA is just getting out. is why we did not test... We did not know.......

gsarrow 02-11-2009 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsarrow (Post 245226)
There is now a dna test for CA. Here is the link to UC Davis....Horse Tests
For those of you that would like to learn about this Disease here is the link about it. Cerebellar Abiotrophy Arabian F.O.A.L. Association
There is a small chance of getting an affected foal...But for the 50 for the dna test is worth it. I would not like to see what has happen to us happen to someone else.
We own 3 purebred Arabian foals. 2- 2 year olds and one weanling and she has this disease.. only foal from last year. don't gamble test before you breed. This is a new test.. Plus info About CA is just getting out. is why we did not test... We did not know.......

I must correct myself here as CA is not a Disease but a condition. A disease is like the flu. CA is genetic.....

Twilight Arabians 02-11-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gsarrow (Post 249052)
I must correct myself here as CA is not a Disease but a condition. A disease is like the flu. CA is genetic.....

we tested all of our horses for it! none have it thankfully! :-)

Danena 03-08-2009 11:13 PM

Thank you for the link. I have been looking for one or information about testing.
Danena
J & D Arabians