The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   New to english (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/new-english-22081/)

appy rider 4 life 02-05-2009 10:45 AM

New to english

I am going to be new english soon and i was wondering if there any thing i should know? i am a western rider to the bone and i am used to western riding. i know they are differnt but are the singals and stuff pretty much the same? any thing will help! THANKS!! :shock:

english_rider144 02-05-2009 12:39 PM

Its pretty much the same exept posture and leg cues. You need to learn how to hold the reins in both hands though.

appy rider 4 life 02-05-2009 12:49 PM

oh i forgot about the reins! that should be a task to learn. thanks!

english_rider144 02-05-2009 01:53 PM

you're welcome :-)

appy rider 4 life 02-05-2009 02:06 PM

I can not wait to start riding!

english_rider144 02-05-2009 03:41 PM

Its fun! Good luck

horsegirl123 02-05-2009 04:25 PM

I can't really think of anything important to tell you right now, but if you have any questions in mind, then just post them and i'll come back to answer them. :)

bgood400 02-05-2009 07:25 PM

The cues are basicly the same. The english saddle is a little tougher to stay in so you might experience a few more spills. It also will take a while for your legs to get built up for posting.

appy rider 4 life 02-06-2009 09:41 AM

Thanks guys! now i really want to go out and ride! i hope i do not fall that will be my first time if i do. my grandma asked me how i was going to stay on the saddle when i showed it to her. i just looked at her. thanks again.

jemmamalone 02-06-2009 07:30 PM

Im the opposite, im a English rider born and bred and am now doing western. The one thing i will say is that it is all about posture. There are some different riding movements like posting but like everybody always says and you will always be told... 'imagine there a string from your sholder to you feet'. You have to sit straight and then you will have to get used to the reins. Also your feet are in different positions... my biggest thing to overcome when i started western was the way i was trying to move the horse. I was using mouth insted of neck rein.
One suggestion that may help you... go to the riding critique section and see how some people are sitting etc and how they have their horse etc and see the comments, you will quickly learn this is the way to sit or this is not the way to sit. Etc. It will take time and practise but good luck and most of all have fun. :)