The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   What should I tell my grainery (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-should-i-tell-my-grainery-22084/)

Painteddreamfarm 02-05-2009 10:16 AM

What should I tell my grainery

I am going to go to my grainery and have them make my own special recipe for my grain... I need the ingrediants to have high in fat, protien. What could I tell them to include? What are some of the things you use?

shmurmer4 02-05-2009 11:04 AM

What have you selected so far as ingredients so that this doesn't get repetitive?

ilovestitch 02-05-2009 11:34 AM

i used to work at a feed mill and we got people in all the time that would ask that same question, my best recommendation would be to go to your grain mill and and present them with the ideal food you are looking for and explain to them what you know you want in it and they will be able to tell you the best things that you can add to make it exactly what you want.
the people there have been doing it for years and they will be able to assist you in what you are looking for.

Peggysue 02-06-2009 07:44 AM

beet pulp, alfalfa meal, soybean meal, rice bran, then a good vitamin/mineral package for your area.... IOW have your grass, soil and hay tested and add what needs added

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-06-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovestitch (Post 245388)
i used to work at a feed mill and we got people in all the time that would ask that same question, my best recommendation would be to go to your grain mill and and present them with the ideal food you are looking for and explain to them what you know you want in it and they will be able to tell you the best things that you can add to make it exactly what you want.
the people there have been doing it for years and they will be able to assist you in what you are looking for.

Yep, Yep... This is solid advice!! My hubby works at a feed mill and tons of people ask these very same questions. Everybody does different things with their horses so you'll need to decide how hard you work your horses, their ages and so on and so forth, take all that into consideration and then go from there. Universities (Like Texas A&M) have done tons of research on perfect formulas. I don't have a link but Peggy Sue may or several others on here that might be worth PMing...(tho feed issues can be sticky and people tend to be very opinionated on what's right and wrong.)

Something else to consider is how much feed you will be buying and using. If you aren't able to use/properly store 3 tons before it spoils...You may want to research bagged feed. Many feed mills have a minimum order (it's harder to nail 3 tons of feed on the dot than you'd think...(sometimes there is an extra couple hundred pounds)

I'd also ask if they make their own special horse feed and what's in it if they do. I know that my hubby's mill makes their own, they also sell all sorts of other products and that they are a licensed Purina dealer. So there are several products to choose from and all are priced cheaper through the feed mill than through say TSC or other similar retail stores.

Good Luck and keep us updated.

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-06-2009 07:52 PM

LOL... See, I knew Peggy Sue would have some good input! :lol: She posted while I was typing!! :lol: