The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   English Equitation... what paces are they looking for? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/english-equitation-what-paces-they-looking-220962/)

TerciopeladoCaballo 06-26-2013 05:12 PM

English Equitation... what paces are they looking for?

Do you know if in Equitation the riders are supposed to go slow when asked to trot? I took my mare to an English Eq show and she was placed far at the bottom because she was going faster than the other horses. It was weird. I thought when someone says Trot, you go at a working pace or close to a working pace. Most of the other horses were almost jogging, with their heads low. I would think I accidentally entered a Western Pleasure class if it weren't for the English tack and apparel. I looked at the video of the class a dozen times, I looked at myself and thought I and my horse looked fine, then looked at the riders around me and realized I was going double their pace. They weren't collected or tracking up, it was all just plain slow.

Good grief, what's up?

tinyliny 06-26-2013 05:46 PM

sounds more like you are describing a Hunter Under Saddle type class. Equitation classes are supposed to judge the rider, correct?

BornToRun 06-26-2013 05:57 PM

Most Hunter classes are very political, and horses are placed if the judged likes them, not on how well the rider rides.

As You Wish 06-26-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2901890)
sounds more like you are describing a Hunter Under Saddle type class. Equitation classes are supposed to judge the rider, correct?

If it was an equitaion class, perhaps you placed so low because you were allowing your horse to go faster than the other horses. Equitation is judged on the rider and her ability to work with the horse. Or you could have placed low slimply due to your riding. Not trying to be rude at all, just realistic. I didn't place in an equitation class because I let my horse scratch her face on her leg. :oops:

alexischristina 06-26-2013 08:17 PM

Unless you asked for your specific score you don't know it was your horses speed that had you placing lower. That said, if it was a hunter show (or a hunter judge) and you weren't riding like a hunter, you will likely be placed lower. The same goes for an Eq. class judged by a dressage judge, riding like a hunter will get you placed lower.

TerciopeladoCaballo 06-26-2013 08:34 PM

Ah... I was riding Dressage sorts, the judge is Hunter. The classes were listed as "English Equitation" but I did go into a Hunter Under Saddle as well, placing low in all. I rode in a Training level dressage test for a different judge and she told me I was riding correctly, so... Shouldn't be like I was riding badly. It was a local show and was... odd. A girl with an illegal bit and a high-rearing horse kept placing until the last Equitation class when the horse nearly backflipped, at the end of which the judge ordered a bit check and DQ'd her from that class. Looked like I was the only one who didn't know that judge, but no one knew the Dressage judge because she came from a long distance away. Politics were certainly a part of it, but I thought maybe there was some rule that you're supposed to match everyone in the class.

BornToRun 06-27-2013 09:15 AM

As soon as you can, I would leave the Hunter and EQ classes. I hate them and the scoring never makes sense. The last Hunter show I went to, it strictly said in the rule book that no tie downs were to be used, so I showed the horse I was riding without hers, but when I showed up, I counted at least three people in my class riding with tie downs and no one was excused.

howrsegirl123 06-27-2013 06:00 PM

Sounds like a hunter under saddle class.

tlkng1 06-27-2013 06:43 PM

Even a hunter under saddle shouldn't be travelling with the head that low; they aren't western pleasure. You are correct about an equitation class in that it is supposed to be a working trot. Admittedly I rode equitation, er, about three decades ago but from what I have seen the pace hasn't been changed. As pointed out the hunter ring can be political. I had an appaloosa that had great hunter movement but he never placed high as his coloring (he looked like a roan) never fit the judge's idea of what a hunter should look like. If your horse wasn't a chestnut with a white sock and a small stripe on the face you rarely placed high unless someone else really messed up; this was in Connecticut back in the early 80s timeframe. I think this has eased a bit or at least I don't see it as an issue in the area I am in.

If you were riding in more of a balanced seat that could have been an issue. Some hunter judges like a more forward seat, even more than what I would say is proper hunt seat, and I have seen some pin high to riders that were well ahead of the vertical...looked ridiculous to me but the judge liked it.

equiniphile 06-27-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornToRun (Post 2907114)
As soon as you can, I would leave the Hunter and EQ classes. I hate them and the scoring never makes sense. The last Hunter show I went to, it strictly said in the rule book that no tie downs were to be used, so I showed the horse I was riding without hers, but when I showed up, I counted at least three people in my class riding with tie downs and no one was excused.

Sounds like a bad venue, not a bad discipline. The hunter shows in my area are very well-regulated, and the placings make sense.