The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   Breakaway and Dummy Help! (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/breakaway-dummy-help-221050/)

Horsecccrazy 06-26-2013 09:22 PM

Breakaway and Dummy Help!

Hey! I just have a few questions about breakaway and roping dummies.
For Breakaway do you need to have your horn wrapped or no? I rope in my barrel saddle and don't want to have to wrap it and take it off so I can run barrels.
Also, how tall are roping dummies normally? I am going to make one but I can't tell how big any of the examples I've seen are.

Roperchick 06-26-2013 09:27 PM

No you dont necessarily have to wrap your horn for breakaway. You dont dally your rope all you have isa small string tied loose that snaps off once you catch, so wrapping isnt necessary.

As for dummies theres no real standard. I originally just had my dummy head on a 60lb bale of hay, when we built our new dummy that we can pull behind another horse it is about 3-4ft tall.

And we have a pvc pipe dummy that we can adjust the height also around 3 1/2 ft tall

smrobs 06-26-2013 09:32 PM

^^Exactly, since you're not dallying, you don't need to wrap your horn.

Whenever I would put my dummy head on something (usually a bale of hay), I would change the height of it occasionally just because not all critters are the same height. Sometimes it would be about at my hip (3-4 feet), sometimes it would be down by my knee.

Ideally, you should do like Roperchick and make a life-sized version of a "Cowboy Toy" out of PVC, piping, or maybe angle iron (though metal would be heavy), so that it can be pulled and you can practice your roping as you are moving instead of just standing still.

Horsecccrazy 06-27-2013 12:35 AM

Perfect, thanks!
I just thought f another question.
Where can I get the right kind of string to use for breakaway?
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 06-27-2013 02:32 PM

Hmm, I'm not sure what kind of string they use. Cotton kite string maybe? I wonder if the strings off of bags of feed would work...

QHriderKE 06-27-2013 02:39 PM

Anything that snaps easy? I dont actually know. I've only roped breakaway a few times and never did it properly

CCH 06-27-2013 05:01 PM

When you compete in breakaway at a rodeo, the string is provided so that everyone is using the same type and roughly the same length.

Roperchick 06-27-2013 08:09 PM

When you sign up theyll either give it to you at registration or at warm up for roping

mollymay 07-26-2013 03:58 AM

I want to do breakaway I'm so a beginner with it! This info was helpful! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 07-26-2013 03:32 PM

I would also HIGHLY suggest a breakaway honda for practice. I have 2 ropes. A practice rope (old competition rope) and a competition rope. So on the practice just slide on a breakaway Honda to the end of the rope and put your loop around the horn and voila. You don't lose your rope every time you catch lol.