The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Laser Dressage Saddles- Quality and Pricing? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/laser-dressage-saddles-quality-pricing-221082/)

DuckDodgers 06-26-2013 08:51 PM

Laser Dressage Saddles- Quality and Pricing?

While I do love my Wintec Isabell, I have been contemplating purchasing a nicer leather saddle. I've been kind of avoiding it, but if the right thing comes up then I may consider it.

Before I got my horse and bought my Wintec I rode in an older Laser dressage saddle and loved it. I rode in this saddle from about age 12-15 and enjoyed every moment of it, but I didn't really "know" what a good saddle feels like back then. I've looked into laser dressage saddles, and nowadays they appear to be selling for $3000+ new, and $1500 or more used.

I found this one on ebay: Laser Dressage Saddle 17" Seat Adjustable Tree No Reserve | eBay and if I could get it for close to the $500 range I would consider it. So, how much do you think this saddle is worth? It definitely is used, but doesn't look to be in too bad of shape. I'm asking because I have been almost completely detached from the dressage saddle market in the past several years, and haven't been able to find a huge number of these saddles for sale used :-|

Now for the quality. For those of you who have any experience with these saddles, what do you think of them? Do they put you in a good position? How is the leather? Are they comfortable? How do they hold up? The saddle I used to ride in had a tear in the seat that was covered up by the rider's thigh, and I don't recall it being any larger last time I saw that saddle. Are such tears common with this brand? I could definitely see a heavily used schooling saddle having such flaws, but I am hoping that they are not associated with the brand when properly cared for. Any other comments/experiences you may have with them?

I don't want to buy a new saddle partially because I don't see an absolute need, and partially because I don't feel like going through the effort of choosing the right saddle for me and my horse, or spending the money. With my horse equipment I generally hold the policy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but I figure it can't hurt to look! If I sell the Australian saddle that I have, I may be even more willing :-)

DuckDodgers 06-26-2013 08:53 PM

Oh, and how true does the sizing run? I'm still debating over whether or not my 17" wintec is a bit large for me or not. It definitely works, but 17" was the smallest they sold back when I bought it.

DuckDodgers 06-27-2013 09:46 AM

Come on, guys! ANY help on the quality or pricing of these saddles would be a big help with my decision!!