The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   need help figuring out the best way to deal with my filly (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-help-figuring-out-best-way-221114/)

a saddened cowgirl 06-26-2013 10:23 PM

need help figuring out the best way to deal with my filly

I have an almost 3yr old filly. She hates when you raise your voice around her and she tries to kick you if you do. when i lead her and ask her to stop she wants to stop with her chest on my back no matter what i do. She is very nosiy she likes to be right there by you if your in the pasture. on the other hand i can crinkle a plastic bag all over her i can flip a blanket all over her and even blind fold her. She doesn't not spook over anything! i can even saddle her up. she is at the she to start breaking her and im not sure if i should do it in the water or on land.

tinyliny 06-26-2013 10:33 PM

you will probably get a whole lot of feedback from folks saying that if you filly is treating you like she is, that you have other things to worry about then whether to do her first backing over water or land.

her leading and handling manners sound pretty bad.

toto 06-26-2013 10:50 PM

Sounds like she dont respect you or your space- otherwise known as 'spoiled rotten' lol. :-P

pop her with the end of that lead rope till she gets out of your space and stop when shes where ya want her-- ill pop em with the end of the lead rope and back them up out of my space to tell them 'this is where you need to be' and just keep practicing that till she stops with out running you over.. dont let her push you around- you push her around!

I never heard of anyone breaking a horse in water-- What does that do?

Palomine 06-26-2013 11:05 PM

Spoiled.

And you really need to get a trainer to work this out, as well as get some lessons on horse handling for yourself.

A horse that will kick at you when you raise your voice? Please.

This is too far off for you to attempt to fix.

tinyliny 06-26-2013 11:13 PM

the backing a horse in water is an old Indian trick. Makes it hard for the horse to get really physical in its' fussing, and makes for a soft landing if the breaker falls. it works, so I am told.

equestrianfriend 06-26-2013 11:40 PM

don't reward her when she does the things you expect from here e.g. leading without kicking up a fuss. Ignore her bad behaviour and make her learn that she has to do it. Don't be too forceful in doing this, just stand your ground.
Hope this helps:D

Muppetgirl 06-26-2013 11:45 PM

I've seen old horsemen back horses in deep river mud, but never in water......adding water is just adding another way to die.....drowning:shock:

jannette 06-26-2013 11:57 PM

we've had our gelding since he was weaned. we unintentionally "spoiled him rotten" we spent a lot of time on sacking him out, to the point were I swear you could set off a bomb and he'd stand there. that being said we didn't spend time making him understand we are the boss and he is the horse. he has never kicked out but he'll nip at you and had no respect for your space, and you couldn't get him to back off even with popping him with a lead. I went back and did round pen work with him, Clinton Anderson's lounging for respect is amazing...you may try watching some of his videos..we get them on our sat. tv :) I dvr them. :D good luck, and be careful. if you feel you are in over your head make sure you get outside help.

toto 06-27-2013 12:02 AM

Im gonna look into backing a horse in water. :thumbsup:

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2904458)
I've seen old horsemen back horses in deep river mud, but never in water......adding water is just adding another way to die.....drowning:shock:

If I had to choose between river mud and water, I would definitely pick the water. Had a guy lose a horse in river bogs about 10 years ago. Gotta be very, very careful if you ever try this. I would almost rather us extremely clear water, like a sandy lake beach.
Posted via Mobile Device