The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Trying to grow Grass Question (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/trying-grow-grass-question-221138/)

GoGoJoeGranny 06-26-2013 10:48 PM

Trying to grow Grass Question

Hello all,
I am in Coastal NC where now is a good time to grow Bermuda grass. But until I took on the horses last year, I never had a problem with (not enough) grass LOL I notice, and have researched, they do not eat the grass where they poop, and although I try to scoop it all every day, the areas I miss they avoid like the plague. (yet the grass is lush!!) Also, we took down our above ground pool last year and have a 24 foot diameter of sand that I'd like to also plant as I am re-seeding their main pasture.
So my question is, should I use manure to fertilize this new grass seed, or will the horses not eat it? I have been told about the growth of this grass from the dealer, to give it time to grow roots before allowing them to eat it, but will they eat it if I use manure? I know it will speed up the growth, just wondering if it will slow down the time before they will actually touch it.
We have been having thunder storms every day with plenty of rain, so I'd like to get on this now while the weather is working for me. And, they are pastured off in a completely separate area that can handle about 3 weeks of grazing, and then will go to another area that can handle the same, and be rotated between these areas until I can get the main pasture correct, as well as the sand pit growing. (Although the second area does not bounce back as well and will need to, soon, be reseeded as well) They also have plenty of hay to supplement my grass project :-)
Looking for any suggestions, on growth, safe fertilizing, or even what I need to supplement while I work on the grass here. Thank you all in advance for your replies :-)

toto 06-26-2013 11:00 PM

When you drag a pasture its to force them to eat all the grass so they dont eat around where theyve pooped-- yes theyll eat it if theyve got no choice- if its in patches theyll eat around it.

We dont have horses in our front yard but we just seeded with our dried up hay and sprinkled it on top (lightly) and the grass started growing through with in a couple weeks-- We didnt use any fertilizer.

GoGoJoeGranny 06-26-2013 11:15 PM

Ok, not sure if I need to clarify or you understand, like if I miss a few piles in one spot for a couple days, they won't go back there to eat at all, even if a week later it's the nicest grass in the pasture. But it makes sense, I wouldn't eat where I pooped either LOL
For your front yard, you sprinkled the hay or seed over top? (Hay over seed or vice-versa) Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :-)
I do feel silly asking this one on the forum, but I guess I'd be feeling sillier not knowing what I am doing and wasting a bunch of seed ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2904010)
When you drag a pasture its to force them to eat all the grass so they dont eat around where theyve pooped-- yes theyll eat it if theyve got no choice- if its in patches theyll eat around it.

We dont have horses in our front yard but we just seeded with our dried up hay and sprinkled it on top (lightly) and the grass started growing through with in a couple weeks-- We didnt use any fertilizer.

toto 06-26-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoGoJoeGranny (Post 2904162)
Ok, not sure if I need to clarify or you understand, like if I miss a few piles in one spot for a couple days, they won't go back there to eat at all, even if a week later it's the nicest grass in the pasture. But it makes sense, I wouldn't eat where I pooped either LOL
For your front yard, you sprinkled the hay or seed over top? (Hay over seed or vice-versa) Thanks for your input, I appreciate it :-)
I do feel silly asking this one on the forum, but I guess I'd be feeling sillier not knowing what I am doing and wasting a bunch of seed ;-)

Lol i understand you :-P our horses wont even eat grass if we clean the manure right away.. they have better sense of smell than a dog does ya know, lol.

we kept them out of one pasture for the whole winter- the manure melted into the earth and they still wont eat them grass patches-- nicest climps of grass in the whole pasture too-- they will eat it if you pick it and feed it to them! :lol: :-P

Its best to seed then sprinkle hay over top of seed-- we took red clover and sprinkled it over top and now its a clump of red clover in that area-- we really just wanted to see what would happen.

What the hay does is protects it from being sun scalded and so the birds dont get the seed.. if you do too thick of hay it smothers them and nothing will grow-- the dh says 'it can grow the grass or it can be like mulch' depending on how you do it- so use a thin layer just enough to cover the dirt.

if you just sprinkle hay it will grow grass too-- thats all we really did for a few patches but johnson grass started to grow from those and some of the hays mixed grasses.. mostly johnson though.