The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Truck For My Trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/truck-my-trailer-221154/)

Freemare 06-26-2013 09:52 PM

Truck For My Trailer?

So I am having a bit of a problem. My car, a Buick century is having bad transmission problems and so I have decided to trade it in and get a truck to pull my horse trailer. The problem is, I dont know what truck to get. I have looked at lots of option. The thing is, with most V8's they get 11 in town and 15 on HWY. So thats bad. Gas is so high right now, and if I want to go see my horse it would cost me 4 gallons, around there. To get down and back. Its around 26 miles. So to me that is bad. I dont have a job right to pay for the extra gas, and my family will be covering the rest of the cost of the car. Thats why I was looking at a large V6. Most of my area is flat. I would not be haling all the time. Maybe once a month for the local horse show. My horse trailer is the one below. Its a 2 horse, and would only be haling a little arab and a carriage. Let me know your guys options.
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2703.jpg
http://i1211.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_2702.jpg

swimminchikin 06-26-2013 10:47 PM

It's like I'm reading a post about myself! lol.

My buick century died last year with electrical issues. I wanted a truck to drive to work (about 26 miles round trip) and tow a two horse bumper pull trailer. My truck needed to pull a bit more weight with my two *ahem* "hefty" quarter horses.

I purchased a 5.3L V8 Chevy silverado and it's Awesome! I went with the regular cab, 8 foot box, worktruck version and it gets really decent gas mileage. I'm paying pretty much the same for gas as I was with the Buick. Only now, I don't have to fill the tank every single week.

I love it and wish I bought it sooner. The biggest issue I have now is convincing the family NOT to put HAY in the bed. At least until it's a little older and a little more paid off. :)

Good luck with the truck search. I've heard the newer 5.3L get better gas mileage than the 4.8L's.

waresbear 06-26-2013 10:55 PM

Do you want to tow a trailer and not hold up traffic going up hills at 20 mph or save on gas? I would not tow any type of horse trailer with anything less than a 3/4 ton (it's illegal here anyways) and the bigger the engine, the better. Diesel engines are even better and diesel prices are bit cheaper.

goneriding 06-27-2013 06:55 PM

A half ton will pull that trailer and your Arab fine. Just make sure as you would with any truck/trailer, the brakes are working fine on both. Sway bars would be a good option to have. Also, a longer wheel base gives better stability, single cab short box eh, no.

gunslinger 06-27-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2904586)
Diesel engines are even better and diesel prices are bit cheaper.

Actually, here in the state of Tennessee, diesel is about .20 cents a gallon higher than gasoline.

Adam 06-27-2013 11:49 PM

A 1/2 ton truck would pull that fine. Just don't forget your trailer brakes! :)

usandpets 06-28-2013 04:05 AM

We have a friend that has about the same trailer. She has an F150 with a straight 6 cylinder engine. It pulled two horses decent but it is pretty flat here.

Normally, I wouldn't pull any horse trailer without at least a 3/4 ton truck. The brakes are heavier duty than the 1/2 ton trucks. Also, they usually have better transmissions and rear ends.

Even if diesel costs more, you will get better fuel mileage.
Posted via Mobile Device

lovemylilly 06-28-2013 05:35 AM

anything dodge is the way to go. chevy coming in 2nd and ford dead last :) Ford trannys tend to go out faster than any other truck. besides Dodge has 1,000,000 mile guarantee on diesels or they buy you a new truck ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 06-28-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovemylilly (Post 2916250)
anything dodge is the way to go. chevy coming in 2nd and ford dead last :) Ford trannys tend to go out faster than any other truck. besides Dodge has 1,000,000 mile guarantee on diesels or they buy you a new truck ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Everyone has their own opinion. For me, dodge would be last. I've heard that their transmissions are the weakest. Ford is my pick for hauling but I'm a diehard GM fan.

If you're buying new, they're all close but their under warranty, so it really doesn't matter.
Posted via Mobile Device

lovemylilly 06-28-2013 06:01 AM

^^ very true! I guess it depends on where you are geographically. Honestly we have always had Chevorlets and no issues at all. Had a dodge once it pulled like a dream. had 2 ford engines blow up with under 100,000 miles. But we are central Az with no hills, just straight level pulling. yes and ALWAYS buy extended warranty! well worth it in the long run!
Posted via Mobile Device