The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it Possible That Alfalfa Can Make a Horse Hyper?

22K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  jemmamalone 
#1 ·
For the past month or so Mojo has been inexplicably full of himself--hopping around and bucking under saddle, snorting and shying while being led to and from the barn, etc. This is uncharacteristic and I've been straining my brain to figure it out--believe me, I've thought of everything... Tonight the barn owner called to tell me that a few weeks ago her husband thought some of the horses in Mojo's field were looking skinny, so instead of the usual round bale of grass hay he substituted a round bale of alfalfa. BO thinks this may be the cause of Mojo's recent behavior. I've never heard of hay making a horse hot, only grain. He eats the alfalfa 24/7--could this be the reason for the new hyper antics? Thanks in advance everybody.

#28 ·
This was such an interesting thread. Thanks mojo7777 I will watch her for a couple of weeks once she has settled in and see if she is a little bit more hyper then she was before i moved her and if she is a i will try her on the oats again which she was on before i moved her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.