The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How to train a horse to jump? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-train-horse-jump-221258/)

countfalcon 06-27-2013 12:02 AM

How to train a horse to jump?

My sister rides a 10yo Arab x Australian Riding Pony gelding who is slightly overweight at the moment and hasn't had much riding or training in the past. He's very lazy and when she tries to jump him, he can't seem to work out that he's supposed to jump over the poles, rather than just crash through them. We don't set the poles very high, but he still can't figure out how to get over them! Does anyone have any ideas on how to train him to jump?

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 02:26 AM

Start out with a series of trot poles and move up from there. Another good way to practice is to find an embankment. No crashing through that.

Trot poles help the horse realize to pick up his feet. You also need to make sure your poles are sturdy and heavy.. Use landscape timbers or hollow iron. Don't use PVC or plastics.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 06-27-2013 11:26 AM

Start with getting him solidly trained on the flat, then start with jumping on the lunge line. If he hasn't had much riding or training in the past (and is also overweight) then he's probably not able to balance himself well enough to jump with a person right now.

As You Wish 06-27-2013 04:20 PM

When I started my horse jumping, we did lunging work over poles for a few months, trot poles, cantering over poles, slowly adding a small cross bar to the end of the poles. Then we moved on to lunging over jumps. When she got the hanng of that, we moved on to riding over trot poles & cantering over poles slowing adding small jumps. My mistake with her was going too high too fast. She loves to jump, the higher the better, but I pushed her too soon. We started over from the basics this spring. Poles & small jumps to get better form.