The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Won't stand still in the ring! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/wont-stand-still-ring-221394/)

gamingirl22 06-27-2013 10:02 AM

Won't stand still in the ring!

So my Quarter Horse mare does excellent at home and even out of the ring at shows practicing for showmanship, but as soon as we go into that ring, she will set up but then when I have to move over because of the 'quarters' of the judge, I think that throws her off and she wants to move because I am, but she's not supposed to! And I practice that so much when we are out of the show ring, but as soon as we're in the ring, she just won't stand! Please help me fix this problem! THanks :D

BornToRun 06-27-2013 10:50 AM

At the shows you attend, do they have a warm up ring? Do you bring a coach to shows? Is there someone you could bring into the warm ring to act as a judge? I would suggest doing all the practitioner you can in the warm up ring, you're not being judged, but it still gives off the same feel as being in a class.

Saddlebag 06-27-2013 12:22 PM

Have you trained her to move her hip over as you look at it? If so, she may be responding to the judge, thinking she needs to move her hip.

gamingirl22 06-27-2013 12:40 PM

No I have trained her to move her hip when I touch it, but thanks BornToRun!! I do lunge her to get some of her energy out for about 20 minutes I would say before my class, but yeah maybe when I'm even practicing at home or before my class I should practice having my own 'judge' walking behind my horse and stuff. Thanks! Hopefully that helps!

Ninamebo 08-19-2013 12:52 PM

In my area there are open ride nights twice a week in the same arena we eventually show in- if you could get in that arena and work on her standing still in it with your trainer that might ease her mind about it later on when you are there for a show.

beau159 08-19-2013 01:23 PM

Yup, sounds like your horse is just green to shows, and just needs you to "mimic" having a judge walk around.

Get a helper and practice practice!