The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Shredded Paper Bedding (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/shredded-paper-bedding-22140/)

Burgundian Mercenary 02-06-2009 08:36 AM

Shredded Paper Bedding

Hi Guys. I was wondering if anyone has any experience of using shredded paper as bedding? I've heard of it before, but don't know anyone who's tried it. I've been offered shredded paper from an office building, and though I can't take it (my horse is at full livery), I was thinking of passing the offer to a friend who's DIY. Anybody know of any pros/cons? All suggestions gratefully received :-).

VACountryGirl 02-06-2009 04:20 PM

I actually heard about using it in my magazine The Horse, which is an Equine health magazine. They said that its a good bedding because its good for the environment and gives another life to used paper. You can also put it in compost, they said. I'd be all for it if I knew I'd always have enough! We go through a lot of shred at our office, but we have a deal with the Boy Scouts to come pick it up. The only con I could think of is that it would probably fall apart easily when they pee on it, unlike sawdust which holds together a little better. So for the sake of stall cleaning, it might be a pain in the butt. But I have no experience with it, so I'm just guessing since paper gets flimpsy and gross when wet. I've always used sawdust, as does the barn where I board and any other place I've been to around here, so I don't really have experience with any other bedding. Just my crappy .02 cents. LOL Of course if you are getting it for free, that's pretty sweet because you can't beat free!!

sensationalreflection 02-06-2009 05:03 PM

Shredded paper as bedding...?

I know one person who has done this and I saw it myself. People say that it is good for the environment because it is recycling used paper, but if you have a stall pig I do not suggest this practice. It can get very messy. Even if your horse is not a stall pig (my friend's wasn't), I do not think it is a good idea either. After the horse uses the restroom just a few times, whether it is 1 or 2, it becomes a mess. The paper gets all soggy from the urine and it does not hold moisture or smell well at all. Everyone at my ranch uses wood shavings or sawdust. Some have even used straw hay, but that gets smelly fast and is a nightmare to clean up. Of all things to use, I highly support wood shavings. Cedar smells amazing, it causes no harm to the horse, and it holds moisture very well. Good luck!?

VACountryGirl 02-06-2009 11:31 PM

That's what I was guessing would happen. I wouldn't imagine that it would absorb smell very well like sawdust/wood shavings does.

Burgundian Mercenary 02-09-2009 07:16 AM

Thanks for the comments, guys. I'll probably pass up the offer and let them recycle the paper in the usual way.:wink:

zanytactics 02-18-2009 05:59 PM

I used it for a little while. I didn't like it. It was kinda a pain.

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-20-2009 02:34 PM

It was a complete mess when I used it for my little chickens... I couldn't imagine it for larger animals. I think I'd pass too..

SaddleUp158 02-22-2009 11:41 PM

I have a couple of friends who have used it, thought theres was shredded phonebooks. They LOVED it! They say it fluffs up so much better than shavings, and when the horse pees, the paper clumps up around it like kitty litter does. If we were able to find any around where I live I would buy some in a heartbeat. They also said that while per bag it is more expensive, it lasts much longer than shavings and you don't have to put as many bags in the stall.

kershkova 03-16-2009 08:07 PM

i perfer shavings i don`t use a lot of shavings thought because we have stall mats.

dstrack 04-07-2009 11:17 AM

I find it much better than shavings and several studies have recommended it over shavings as well. Easy to clean, you use less and it is more absorbent. Better yet, many cheap or free sources available.