The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Ahhh! My horse fell into neighbors pool! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/ahhh-my-horse-fell-into-neighbors-22143/)

maureenb 02-06-2009 12:17 PM

Ahhh! My horse fell into neighbors pool!

Yesterday, our neighbor called us to tell us that it looked like some large animal had been in his pool and that Lilly, my horse, looked like she had cuts on her legs. So we hurried over and checked on her and she was bleeding on all fours! Thankfully, after we washed her off, they look like just minor scrapes and cuts. However, when we went to check the neighbors pool, it doesn't look so well! It looks like she must have been running (possibly a dog was chasing her) because on one side of the pool there are marks where she saw the pool and tried to slide to a stop. There is a little tear in the lining where she fell in, and on the other side, the plastic steps are broken where she tried to get out! Thankfully, our neighbors are taking it in stride and said they would talk to their insurance today. Hopefully, they can get the damage repairs covered with their insurance. If not however, it will will be a huge price to pay! Maybe with a few zeros added! Please pray for us and that every thing will get worked out!

Chocolate 02-06-2009 01:01 PM

WOW you got so lucky, i'm glad she's okay! I will definately pray for you!

sandy2u1 02-06-2009 02:25 PM

I think you already got really lucky too. Its amazing that the horse did not really injure itself and was able to get out of the pool.

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-06-2009 04:54 PM

WOW.... That's a freak accident!!! I surely hope the insurance covers everything and that the neighbors understand that it was just that, an accident. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Moxie 02-06-2009 05:12 PM

Glad the horse is okay, and hope that things work out with the insurance.

At least she tried to use the stairs. ;)

shorty 02-06-2009 05:45 PM

YOU may have to pay? If that happened here, our neighbours would be in HUGE trouble from the government for not having a fenced pool. But at least they are being nice and your horse is OK. Hope the financial side turns out OK too.

satrider 02-06-2009 05:52 PM

horse in pool

I'm glad your horse is OK, I'm just a little confused on how that could happen, Did she jump your fence? How did she get out. Just curious:?

onetoomany 02-06-2009 05:59 PM

Check with your county about pool regulations. While several states do have pool barrier regulations (don't know which ones), the counties that do not have state regulations often impose their own. I'm sure you don't want to get your neighbors in trouble but if you do end up having to pay- I would look into. In fact I would look into it no matter what as having a pool with no fence is pretty dangerous.

maureenb 02-06-2009 07:07 PM

Well, where I'm from I very rarely see a pool with a fence around it (except for at country clubs), but it does make since to have one.

maureenb 02-06-2009 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satrider (Post 246264)
I'm glad your horse is OK, I'm just a little confused on how that could happen, Did she jump your fence? How did she get out. Just curious:?

Well Satrider, earlier that day, before we knew about the pool and cuts, one of our other neighbors called us and told us that Bonnie was out and the gate was open but Lilly was still in the pasture eating. So he put Bonnie back in the pasture and closed the gate. Well, I'm assuming that Lilly had already fallen into the pool, got out, went back into the pasture and he just didn't notice the cuts on her legs. So naturally we had no worries until my neighbor called telling us that his pool was torn up and my horse had cuts on her legs. How the gate was opened? I have no idea. I'm just glad my horse isn't hurt! I'm also glad it isn't summer and no one was in the pool who could have gotten seriously injured!