The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse won't tie for the life of him (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-wont-tie-life-him-221442/)

rednecklove 06-27-2013 12:02 PM

Horse won't tie for the life of him

The neighbors new ottb will not stand while tied its hard because if we need to tack up or bathe the horses he is the only one who won't stand tied up he throws a fit about it and my neighbor and I want to go camping and get him out because he is a good riding horse he but won't stand while tied so do y'all have any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

texasgal 06-27-2013 12:03 PM

There are as many techniques for teaching a horse to tie as there are horses that don't tie.

Here's a start:

teaching a horse to tie Google

Muppetgirl 06-27-2013 12:06 PM

OP - you mean he will tie but won't stand nicely while tied ie. fidgeting, pawing and moving around?

rednecklove 06-27-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2907970)
OP - you mean he will tie but won't stand nicely while tied ie. fidgeting, pawing and moving around?

Yes that is what I mean
Posted via Mobile Device

jaydee 06-27-2013 12:13 PM

If that all he does then I would make him deal with it - he's doing all that for attention and someone panders to him he's getting what he wants
I know its really annoying because our Honey did it when we first got her but giving in or over reacting to them just perpetuates the problem
Ignore him and he'll soon get bored

waresbear 06-27-2013 12:16 PM

I had a mare that set back every now & then, tried every method I could find, she would be fine for awhile, I would think I solved her pulling back, tie her normally and she would do it again when you least expected it. After a few years, I gave up and used an inner tube to tie her to. When she set back with that, she would feel the pressure & give up quickly, but it didn't stop her from trying to pull, it just lessened her reaction to a nano second. If I had that mare now, I would prolly try a blocker tie ring, google it, supposed to be a great invention for pullers.
Posted via Mobile Device

rednecklove 06-27-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 2908034)
If that all he does then I would make him deal with it - he's doing all that for attention and someone panders to him he's getting what he wants
I know its really annoying because our Honey did it when we first got her but giving in or over reacting to them just perpetuates the problem
Ignore him and he'll soon get bored

Ok thank you I think that it's more my neighbor that gets frustrated/annoyed with him doing it and he is a very nippy horse if he is in one of his little moods
Posted via Mobile Device

palogal 06-27-2013 12:41 PM

Look into the Blocker Tie Ring and Clinton Anderson's method. I've had good success with it.

Boo Walker 06-27-2013 01:22 PM

A nice long ride or vigorous workout always makes the tying experience "click" in a horses brain. Ohhhh... I'm supposed to stand here and relax- I get it now!
If he gets fidgety, it's back out again for more work. Some horses get it after a few times, others may need to really blow off some steam lots of times but being consistent works wonders.

palogal 06-27-2013 03:41 PM

Once you mount you have already missed your window of correction.