The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Pasture management HELP! (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/pasture-management-help-221490/)

Tbknobloch 06-27-2013 12:42 PM

Pasture management HELP!

I am trying to fix up my horse pasture. We have a pile where our horses deposited next to the barn over the past two years. It has been kept pretty wet this summer bc it has rained a lot here. The bottom is two years old and some at the top is is 9 months old. I bought a bag of pasture mix and seeded it heavily. I was told afterward not to plant grass there bc it would never grow.

Well... Now I have a grassy horse poop pile that is still retaining water beside the barn. It needs to be moved, so I have been slowly transplanting it to the barren waterway and other random areas. Now in told that it will not transplant and take hold in its new home. I'd like to make myself right again so that the horses have a better second pasture to alternate with. My husband's plan is to use the skid loader to throw it over the fence. :(

I've been watering it and trying to walk on it (maybe a dumb idea) to get it pushed into the gray muddy waterway to help make contact with real dirt. I'm thinking the waterways might be my best bet because the dirt stay wetter there. My question is: what more can I do to help make the transplanted grass take hold. It is over six inches long. It is too late to clip it, but I'm wondering if its length is going to deter its success in the transplant. Thanks in advance for your help!

Stan 06-28-2013 11:18 AM

I used to pile up the horse poo on 4 acres into piles in each paddock then allow it to break down. Now all i do is at the end of each feeding session in each paddock (3 days) I drag around chain harrows behind my quad bike and spread the poo. I apply about 3 ton of lime a year to get the PH of the soil up and sweeten the grass. The poo turns to soil attracting worms and the lime helps to control parisites. If worming the horses I keep them off the pasture for a few days to assist in controling the spread of medical cemicials. I also use garlic for worms.