The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Pasture or round pen for a mustang? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pasture-round-pen-mustang-221586/)

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 03:41 PM

Pasture or round pen for a mustang?

I came to this board to get some input on training my BLM Mustang, Vegas. Today is day 7 of his training and I am considering letting him out into the pasture with the other horses.

The pasture was 40 acres but I've sectioned off about 30, so the horses are only on about 10 right now.

I've called a few mustang friends and I hear varying ideas and opinions and wanted to throw it out here.

If you need to catch up, visit my mustang training thread in the training section.

Today, I can walk up to V in the roundpen and hold out his halter and he puts it on himself. Very rarely will he walk away, but when he does, he doesn't go far.

I would like to put him out with the other horses, but not sure if he's ready. I've been handling him consistently for 7 days and he looks at me as a leader and handler, and sticks close to me and respects me in the round pen, but I know some of that with my quarter horses doesn't transfer out of the pen. Wondering how much of the work with V with transfer out of the pen, or if I should keep him in until he's more solid.

Right now, his trust in me is great. He will consistently roll on the halter right near me, and when we are taking work breaks he peacefully naps beside me.

Not sure which way to go with him, mustangs are so much different than domestic animals (V was wild until 2-3 years old) and any advice is appreciated!

Why isn't there a mustang section on this board!?!
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 06-27-2013 04:05 PM

Personally, I would keep him by himself for full month to continue his training.

now you certainly could try it, but be sure to have a backup plan for when he gives you the hoof and your chasing him around 10 .acres.
Posted via Mobile Device

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 2910370)
Personally, I would keep him by himself for full month to continue his training.

now you certainly could try it, but be sure to have a backup plan for when he gives you the hoof and your chasing him around 10 .acres.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think he'll need a month, he's coming along really nicely. When I've done quarter horses, a week of consistent groundwork (30 minutes twice a day) gets them respectful and easy to catch. But, then again, I also mess with them a little as babies and they know I mean business already.

I think the first two days I can walk in and catch him 5 times in a row without him turning away an inch will be the day he gets out.
Posted via Mobile Device

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 04:10 PM

As for a backup, I would get on one of my horses, rope V and work him into the ground. It wouldn't be a huge deal if he "gave me the hoof" but would rather avoid it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 06-27-2013 04:47 PM

If this horse ran wild all his life don't be surprised it he reverts the minute you let him loose. He is in a pen with no where to go. He is being compliant as it seems best considering his situation. Please let us know how it goes. What do you mean by "work him into the ground"?

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2910850)
If this horse ran wild all his life don't be surprised it he reverts the minute you let him loose. He is in a pen with no where to go. He is being compliant as it seems best considering his situation. Please let us know how it goes. What do you mean by "work him into the ground"?

That's what I was afraid of with wilder ones. I'll hold off on letting him out.

Work him into the ground - work him until he really, really wishes he would have just let me catch him.
Posted via Mobile Device

Taffy Clayton 06-27-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangGirl (Post 2911010)
Work him into the ground - work him until he really, really wishes he would have just let me catch him.
Posted via Mobile Device

It will have the opposite effect~ next time you will never catch him.

jaydee 06-27-2013 05:19 PM

Whatever you do with a horse is 'training'
If you go into his field and chase him around to catch him then that's what he'll expect every time. he might get bored with it he might not but he has 4 legs to your 2, nothing else to do with his time and probably more energy than you have
Can you not create maybe an acre or half an acre where you can put him out with just one other horse to begin with? Has to be an easy catcher that will set him a good example
I would also worry that if he gets himself lamed by a kick that could bring a halt to your training - not what you want at this stage.

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 2911106)
It will have the opposite effect~ next time you will never catch him.

I've trained quite a few horses in my years and I can tell ya, it works. Maybe not the first time but after about 2 or 3 times it clicks with them - if mom catches me, my life is easy. If I run, my life is hard.

Just a method I use that works for me. I expect a lot from my horses.
Posted via Mobile Device

MustangGirl 06-27-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydee (Post 2911210)
Whatever you do with a horse is 'training'
If you go into his field and chase him around to catch him then that's what he'll expect every time. he might get bored with it he might not but he has 4 legs to your 2, nothing else to do with his time and probably more energy than you have
Can you not create maybe an acre or half an acre where you can put him out with just one other horse to begin with? Has to be an easy catcher that will set him a good example
I would also worry that if he gets himself lamed by a kick that could bring a halt to your training - not what you want at this stage.

Not necessarily. Horses don't enjoy being chased. And of course, I don't just chase them. There's method to the madness, and it works.
Posted via Mobile Device