The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   I dyed my bay's mane and tail *pics* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/i-dyed-my-bays-mane-tail-221618/)

mc90 06-27-2013 04:31 PM

I dyed my bay's mane and tail *pics*

5 Attachment(s)
I decided that, for the lack of anything better to do, it was a good idea to dye my bay's mane, tail, and forelock. He looks like a completely different horse, in a good way. He even stood cross tied for about 2 hours. I am so proud of him... Just had to brag! Now for the pictures.

In the full body after picture it looks like the dye got on his brown hair. He is actually still a little wet in some areas.

Also, does anybody know how to remove vaseline from a horses coat? I used it to prevent the dye from going where I didn't want it to go and now it is stuck!

Critter sitter 06-27-2013 04:41 PM

what type of Color did you use?

toto 06-27-2013 04:46 PM

To get the grease out of anything-- dawn dish soap! ;-) its safe on animals.

Are you a cosmetologist?

That looks really good! Hes like one of them model horses, lol.

DuckDodgers 06-27-2013 04:52 PM

I've thought about dyeing my bay's mane and tail (my trainee encouraged it) but decided against it. He has lots of red in his points not due to sun bleaching, and I thought it would look weird. It looks really good on your guy though, so I may look into it one day! Mine looks to be about the same color as yours, though he's a wild type with almost no dark coloration on his legs and maybe a little lighter ...
Posted via Mobile Device

xlionesss 06-27-2013 04:56 PM

I'd be very very careful! As a cosmetologist, hair dyes contain a LOT of hazardous chemicals. If anyone decides to do this, I wouldn't use color you can pick up from Walmart or CVS...go to a Sallys and get some semi-permanent- it may bleed/run, but you won't run the risk of your horse having a negative reaction to it such as hives, blisters from chemical burns, rinsing out into mucus membranes etc etc

He does look great though.

toto 06-27-2013 05:17 PM

I didnt know color dyes could do things like that? I thought that was only bleach?

existentialpony 06-27-2013 05:24 PM

Nice horse! Looking very sharp. :)

Critter sitter 06-27-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2911194)
I didnt know color dyes could do things like that? I thought that was only bleach?

Yes Xlionist is right. I am a Cosmetologist also.

mc90 06-27-2013 05:32 PM

Thanks! If he wasn't so patient I could've never done it. I just used the cheap $3 a box hair dye from Walmart. It took 6 boxes. The color used was brown black. From previous experience, black is much too dark. I didn't put the dye all the way to the base of his mane or tail. It didn't burn nor cause any problems with his skin.

I have dyed another old bay with a greying mane a few years ago. Hers was much more difficult because she kept moving and there was a lot to cover up. She didn't have any skin problems with it either. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for any horse with sensitive skin though.

DuckDodgers, If you choose to give it a shot do the semi permanent. You won't be stuck with the color too long if you don't like it.

toto- Thanks, I will give Dawn a try. None of my horse shampoos would get it off even with a lot of elbow grease.

Saddlebag 06-27-2013 05:47 PM

There are many chemicals that horses are sensitive to that people don't react to. A horse doesn't welt so there's no real way of knowing if it's experiencing a burning sensation or not.