The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Do horses get bloody noses?!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/do-horses-get-bloody-noses-221666/)

star16 06-27-2013 06:16 PM

Do horses get bloody noses?!?

So, about 20 minutes ago I went outside to give Star her medicine for some breathing problems she has. That's when I noticed that there is some blood running out of her left nostril. She drank some water and splashed her mouth in the trough a little- I think she smeared some blood on her lip. There is no cut, and it is not bleeding heavy- just a minor trickle, but of course, I'm afraid it's something bad.

The blood is coming from up in her nose- I can just see the lines from where it was coming from- does that make sense? This has happened a couple times before, and it dries up, no harm done. What I've been doing is wiping out her nostril with a damp cloth, and she doesn't seem to mind. Her coat is dusty and there is a flat patch in the paddock, so I'm assuming that she rolled (the other mare is still clean). Maybe she inhaled some dust and sneezed too hard?

I don't think that this is serious enough to call the vet, but I'm not 100% sure what to do...

cakemom 06-27-2013 06:18 PM

Can be something simple but can also involve guttural pouches.
Posted via Mobile Device

Critter sitter 06-27-2013 06:23 PM

I have a friend who's horse has a tumor in her nasal area. He gets nose bleeds. I would make sure it is nothing.

tlkng1 06-27-2013 06:25 PM

Bleeding form the nose without a sign if injury is never normal obviously but I have seen it before. The vet that came out indicated that a horse can get a nosebleed from the same things as a human; a bump on the nose, an increase in blood pressure etc. It is possible she bumped her nose while rolling..horses can get pretty silly there sometimes. I would say to watch the flow. If it is a minor trickle and stops and she appears otherwise OK, wait a bit. If it doesn't slow, gets heavier or she starts showing other signs of not feeling well, get the vet out.

Island Horselover 06-27-2013 06:42 PM

My horse got nose bleeding once, I took her away from her herd (trailering) and she was totally stressed out, when I arrived at the other ring and unloaded her she had a tiny bit of nose bleeding, I contacted my vet and told her the story and she said it was stress related. It never happened again and she did not show any other issues. Could it be that your horse has been stressed even out in pasture? Maybe a fight with another horse or something that stressed the horse?

Saddlebag 06-27-2013 06:50 PM

A bump on the nose can cause a broken blood vessel or even a vigorous snort.

Boo Walker 06-27-2013 06:52 PM

I would be on alert with this symptom only because you are already treating her for some kind of breathing problem.

goneriding 06-27-2013 07:05 PM

You said she has had them before. Has she ever had bleeding from both nostrils? If it were me, being that she has had them before, I would have her checked by your vet. I had a horse that had Guttural Pouch Mycosis but she bled from both nostrils, trickled like a faucet. Maybe I am wrong but I can't see a horse bumping their nose multiple times....

nvr2many 06-27-2013 07:10 PM

My horse had a nose bleed once. If it happened more frequently I would be calling a vet.

Draft lover 06-27-2013 08:20 PM

If your horse is already having breathing problems, and now bleeding from the nose, it sounds like a mass causing a blockage. A vet will need to do a scope to see what it is. I have seen a lot of horses with the same symptoms come into the clinic where I work, and every one of them had masses that had to be removed.