The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Arthritis (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/arthritis-22183/)

KateS 02-07-2009 11:55 AM

Arthritis

I found out recently that my mare has arthritis. The weather is changing alot right now and she is really stiff and sore. When I checked on her yesterday her one ankle (the one that has arthritis) was huge. She was in pain and just watching her walk was not fun. I gave her some bute and left her inside all day but I put her out for the night. Right now she lives outside with my gelding but he will be going for some training next week so I'm thinking of moving her into a stall till spring. Can the change in weather make it worse or is arthritis just something that flares up and then calms down randomly. Also what can I do to help her? The vet gave me some medication that I'm supposed to feed her every day but its not working at all. Other than that he said that there was nothing I can do. Being meI don't want to accept that there is nothing I can do. Right now her feed consists of half really good grass hay and half alfalfa. I'm thinking that I might start giving her some grain but I'm not sure what.
Sorry for the confusing story.
And thanks for any responses.

EquestrianGirl 02-07-2009 12:22 PM

Arthritis mostly depends on the weather. Your horse will have bad flare ups mostly in the winter and even some in the summer. She will be very achy. It affects their joints, makes them very sore, and sometimes sour to ride. You should really talk to your vet about giving her some joint supplements that she can have everyday that will help her.

Also, have you ever tried having her get a massage. My horse has arthritis and when I can afford it I try to get her a massage done to loosen up her tight muscles. Also, you should stretch her everyday.

Good Luck. Sorry about your horse.

KateS 02-07-2009 12:31 PM

The vet gave me some stuff called Bio-Iso-G that I'm giving her every day. He said that was all I could give her that would help. But its not helping. I think I'm going to talk to the lady that will be training my gelding and me and ask her what she thinks. I'll have to look into the massage thing and see if I can find someone in the area.

appylover31803 02-07-2009 05:42 PM

My one gelding has athritis. At one point his right knee was quite swollen, and when an x-ray was taken he had a bone spur in that knee.

What we did, was (in the beginning) we would give him bute the day before, day of and day after we worked him. But we didn't want him to be on bute for the rest of his life, so we got a joint supplement (Equinyl Combo Equinyl Combo - Horse Supplements Joint Powdered/Pellet They have an intense and extreme formula)

Since he's been on it, he's been much much better.

I also suggest to keep her turned out as much as possible and only stall when absolutely necessary. It really helps.

smrobs 02-07-2009 05:52 PM

I would suggest putting her on some kind of high powered joint supplement like appylover said. Also, keep her turned out and keep her moving. When she walks, her joints compress and help to move the fluid around in there keeping the joint lubricated and the cartilage softer. If she is standing still all the time, then the joints will get "dry" and deteriorate faster. I would take her out for as long a walk as you can every day or if you have a hot-walker, put her on that for an hour or so a day. Anything you can do to keep her active will help a lot. Of course watch that she doesn't get more lame or really reluctant to move because that will mean that she is in a lot of pain.

Appyt 02-07-2009 08:46 PM

My 30 yr old Appy has some issues with arthritis. I gave him Corta Flx powder in his beet pulp for a long time. It seemed to help. Then I started adding 99%pure MSM to that. I ran out of CF and before I got around to replacing it I realized he did pretty good on just the MSM. I do bute him for a few days prior to my trimmer's visit as he has a real problem with one leg. He does ok. He's on pasture usually tho this winter he is confined to a paddock w/stall in the barn. He walks all the dang time cuz he wants with the other horses. As much as I hate that he walks off some of his feed at least he isn't stiff. ;)

As has been said, don't stall him/her? sorry.. Don't feed grain or high suger/carb foods as that will just agrivate the problem. Just find a joint supplement that works for your horse. Even tho many work for different horses not all work for everyone. Corta Flx is about the least costly after plain MSM and it does work for many horses. They also have it in pellets and liquid. I preferred the alfala based powder as it was the least costly and did the job.

KateS 02-07-2009 09:38 PM

I will look into finding a joint supplement that works for her.
Appyt she is getting Corta Flx in the liquid form right now and as I said its not working but the vet did say that it will work for some but not others. Also what do you mean by MSM? Sorry I'm not all that knowledgeable :)
Thanks for the advice to leave her in the pasture. It would be alot of work if she was in the stall as we don't have a place for the manure right now. I personally would have thought that having her walk less would help but it definately makes sense that walking would relieve some stiffness as long as its not overdone.
You guys are all so great!
Thanks

Appyt 02-07-2009 10:23 PM

This is the MSM that I use. Very economical. MSM is an anti inflammatory for joints. I've taken it and it does help with inflamation, thus it helps with pain without using bute or aspirin etc.

NorthernMama 02-08-2009 11:42 AM

Glucosamine, Chondroitin and free turnout.

Search the forum... there are several threads about arthritis.

bgood400 02-08-2009 02:30 PM

There are a few horses at our barn that have arthritis. I think keeping her in a stall all winter could be one of the worst things you could do. Our vet says that it is good for horses with arthritis to go out at much as possible. If she stays in the stall I think it will just contribute to it.