The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Job Advice

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  EquineObsessed 
#1 ·
I am moving to a barn to MS in mid- August to start a working student position at a small, all-around barn. It's a year long position, and after it's over I'm hoping to apprentice with a trainer, or work a few years as a trail guide and then start a training career, so that I can hone my people skills. I'm hoping those who are in the horse industry, or those with more horse experience than me, can share a few gems of wisdom that you've gathered over the years about dealing with people, good horsemanship, trainer do's and don'ts, or stories about working student/internships you've had in the past and what you've learnt.

#3 ·
Do not be blinded by free things.

If you find yourself working your *** off for 1 lesson a week, evaluate if that 1 lesson a week is worth all of the energy that you could be using elsewhere, and earning a living.

Be cautious about living on site. Sometimes you don't make enough or have enough time to yourself.

#4 ·
Thank you for responding! I'm willing to work hard, and to be taken advantage of a little, for the sake of learning and making connections. I don't think that will be a problem where I'm headed now, as there are only 8 horses to care for, and the family has been so kind to me and have already given me money in advance for moving down, and are very reasonable with the stipend. After my year with them is up, I expect things to get a lot harder!

#5 ·
Wishing you well & hope this is the start for your dreams. Be open to learning & ask questions if you don't understand, but don't be too judgemental. There are many different approaches & horses do learn differently. Hope you can keep us posted on your advances.

#6 ·
I'll definitely keep everyone posted and I'm sure I'll have questions! I was thinking of making a member journal to keep you all in the loop. (I guess since I'm moving to MS I better say, keeping y'all in the loop haha)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.