The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   When would you breed your mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/when-would-you-breed-your-mare-22207/)

hrsjmpr32 02-07-2009 08:53 PM

When would you breed your mare?

I am planning on breeding my mare this year and was wondering if anyone could give me a little adviceon when would be the best time of year to breed or which months. My mare has never been bred I have worked on a couple breeding farms but was only there for the end results when the babies were born. so what month would you breed your mare and why?

appylover31803 02-07-2009 10:14 PM

I'd breed in either April May or June.

Since the gestation period is approx. 11 months, the foal will be born at the end of the cold weather and at the beginning of the warm weather. (more time for it to be outside and basically no ice/snow to slip on)

If I was actually breeding, I'm sure I would look more indepth into it though.

smrobs 02-07-2009 10:22 PM

I agree with appylover. I would want to breed in late spring or early summer so that the foal would be born in good temperatures. There would be no risk of the foal freezing that way.

CheyAut 02-07-2009 11:29 PM

Where do you live? Here in Az I don't want babies born any later than May (prefer March or April... can have babies in January without problem due to our very mild winters...) but in colder climates, June and July are good months whereas before April might not be (without means to keep the baby warm)

county 02-08-2009 08:53 AM

I live in Mn. and foal outside on grass so my mares are all bred to come in the last week of April through the end of June. I don't want them born when its still cold and ice/snow I the ground. But I want them born before bug season comes as I have 180 acres of pastures and in summer theres deer flies.

mare 02-09-2009 01:55 PM

I like mine born in April/May.

Angel_Leaguer 02-09-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by county (Post 247105)
I live in Mn. and foal outside on grass so my mares are all bred to come in the last week of April through the end of June. I don't want them born when its still cold and ice/snow I the ground. But I want them born before bug season comes as I have 180 acres of pastures and in summer theres deer flies.

end of April could still have snow (but then again it is raining today:?)...lol I know what you mean though with the timing.

I like the end of April beginning of May

LoveMyFinny 02-09-2009 10:02 PM

It all depends on where you live, what the weather is like. I like my babies end of March to beginning of April. Once you start getting into May it is too hot and humid to have babies IMO, where I live.

Midwest Paint 02-14-2009 06:16 PM

With mine, Jan or Feb. I want to get the gestation period set on a Dec. or Jan baby. Fortunately I do have a nice and warm barn, so I dont have to worry much there. But I breed for futurity babies.

zwarte 02-14-2009 06:22 PM

I'd breed when the economy improves and there are fewer surplus horses.