The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Grooming Kit--> (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grooming-kit-2222/)

Thisskyeishuman 06-13-2007 12:56 AM

Grooming Kit-->

Alrighty-o guys.
I'm looking to get a grooming kit together before I get my new horse, I guess to me it's something conveniant to have, and I have an idea of what I should get, but what do you all think.

-container
-plasitc curry
-dandy brush
-face brush
-hoof pick
-towel
-mane and tail comb
-a sponge of some sort

anything else?

I'm probably going to end up buying a halter while I'm out, TSC has a lovely Mint-Green one that would be a great uni-gender halter, since I'm looking for a mare, but would settle for a gelding.

Thanks for the help a head of time, and please check out my post in the Sale, Lease, Buy forum.

fuzzy_pony 06-13-2007 08:39 AM

A good grooming kit should contain:

hard or dandy brush
soft brush
small face brush
rubber curry comb
metal currycomb for cleaning brushes
hoof pick
shedding blades are very helpful
a rub rag
two sponges, one for cleaning the dock, and one for face, or baby wipes.
I find that their are many many differnt items that people sell for cleaning horses, and mostly I have accumulated all of them, but this is what I really need.

Thisskyeishuman 06-13-2007 10:25 AM

thanks!

Dave Singleton 06-13-2007 05:19 PM

You may also want to consider getting a sweat scraper --- can be really useful if the horse gets wet in anyway i.e. it rains. Also with the hoof pick if you can find the combined type with the hard brush on one end it is also very useful as you can brush the hoof clean whilst picking.

Thisskyeishuman 06-13-2007 05:48 PM

I went to TSC today to pick up some supplies, a hoof pick was first on my list, and immediatly got discouraged, all they had was the special edition pink Oster pick, and that didn't include a brush at the other side, I was a little dissapointed--I'd go to a tack shop, but I'm completly unaware of any with in my driving range (I'm only allowed to drive up to 30 miles away from my hometown because my parents are crazy) I may try rural king or the local co-op I'm sure the prices may be better than at TSC too, what do you all think?

once again thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to do the horse thing the right way, and being prepared is my bigest concern, heck I may not get one ever, but I'll have all I need just in case I do.

=]

kristy 06-13-2007 06:19 PM

What's your budget? I can recommend a nice brush set that I use personally that will include all the brushes you need. It is ordered online for about 35 dollars. It includes 4 brushes total.

As for the other things, I would also recommend just browsing online and ordering there. TSC is expensive and doesn't have the highest quality things for your money. Do you know what kind of saddle you'd like?

Thisskyeishuman 06-13-2007 07:09 PM

I'm actually looking for a western saddle, most likely an all-rounder, that will do me good for just pleasure riding and training barrels until I can save up enough money to buy a more expensive one.

Dave Singleton 06-14-2007 07:19 AM

Never forget the awesome power of ebay!

From a quick trawl it looks like you can get a western saddle at under $200 including delivery.
As far as brush's go...
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Horse-Groomi...QQcmdZViewItem

That looks as if it may be a pretty amazing deal! You may actually have competition from me on that one as that is very tempting...

Thisskyeishuman 06-14-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Singleton
Never forget the awesome power of ebay!

From a quick trawl it looks like you can get a western saddle at under $200 including delivery.
As far as brush's go...
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Horse-Groomi...QQcmdZViewItem

That looks as if it may be a pretty amazing deal! You may actually have competition from me on that one as that is very tempting...

Oh yes, ebay is must for any kind of temporary equipment, I don't think I would buy grooming supplies from there, for the same reason I wouldn't buy brushes for makeup for myself, you really don't know what's been done to them.

thanks for referring ebay, I completly forgot about it!

Dave Singleton 06-14-2007 03:18 PM

That is quite true --- some sets on there are new though, you may want to check out what they say.