The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   New to Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/)
-   -   Help with boot fit? (http://www.horseforum.com/new-horses/help-boot-fit-222242/)

lilypoo 06-28-2013 03:49 PM

Help with boot fit?

I purchased a pair of Justin Gypsy boots a couple weeks ago and I'm having trouble with fit. They feel broken in already but last night I got blisters on the backs of my heels, I think because they are sliding up and down when I walk more and more they longer I've had them.

I wear a 9, 9.5 or 10 in most shoes...my feet are on the wider side and I can't stand to have my toes in too tight a space.

I tried on the 9's and my feet slipped in easier than I expected but there still was some resistance. They felt quite tight across the top of my feet so I didn't even try an 8.5.

The gal at the store said she wears a 9-9.5 but had to size down to an 8.5 in that boot...but her feet aren't wide like mine. I'm also heavier, so my feet are meatier I guess. LOL

Anyway...I was told they'd slip about a fingers' height for a while but that they'd stop slipping. The slip a lot more now and other than wearing thick socks (I like thin ones...and it's over 100 degrees here) I am not sure what to do.

Any tips?

LouieThePalomino 06-28-2013 03:53 PM

If their moving too much why not try a thicker sock?
Posted via Mobile Device

SouthernTrails 06-28-2013 04:02 PM

You may try some shoe inserts like Dr. Shools or similar to lift your feet off the bottom of the boot which may help.

I had some work boot that did the same thing and the used inserts to fix the problem.

lilypoo 06-30-2013 05:09 AM

I hate thick socks but I might have to. :)

I'll try an insert as well...hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

I guess I should try on an 8.5 next time (oh yes..more boots in my future!).

albertaeventer 07-02-2013 02:43 PM

I would recommend trying an insert too. There's all sorts of different kinds, hopefully you can find something that works. Sounds like a half size smaller would have probably been perfect for you. Leather boots get roomier as they break in and the leather stretches, which is why you need to buy them snug initially, so they'll still fit once they get bigger! Slipping is normal for the first bit until the sole breaks in but if you buy them too big the slipping will just get worse, like what's happening to you.

I used to sell cowboy boots and when customers were trying them on the pair that offered a decent amount of resistance to their foot going in, but then made sort of a THUNK sound as they slid in, that was one of the signs of a proper fit. We learned this from the boot company reps that would come in. And if a customer was inbetween sizes, we recommended to pick the smaller of the two, keeping in mind that you can always stretch leather boots if they remain a tad snug in places once broken in, but you can't make them smaller once they are broken in and the leather has stretched from normal wear. I found cowboy boots and everything behind them incredibly interesting, and fitting them was sort of a science, haha.

lilypoo 07-04-2013 06:15 AM

Yes, it does seem more and more apparent to me that I need an 8.5 (a least in this brand/style).

I haven't picked up an insert yet. Tried *slightly* thicker socks and that didn't help. I will have to buy something thicker but like I said, I am super-picky about socks. LOL

They still feel a little tight across the top of my foot, particularly the right. I also got a terrible blister on my left foot, back above the heel. It healed but still gets irritated when I wear the boots.

I am considering cleaning them up and Ebaying them...I'm probably going to buy an 8.5 first, break those in and then I'll know for sure which pair fits better. Unless the inserts helps, which I'll try first.

albertaeventer 07-04-2013 09:39 AM

Maybe try just a heel insert so it doesn't tighten up the rest of the foot more as well? I know Dr Scholl's makes gel heel cups so that may be worth a try!

lilypoo 07-05-2013 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albertaeventer (Post 2966474)
Maybe try just a heel insert so it doesn't tighten up the rest of the foot more as well? I know Dr Scholl's makes gel heel cups so that may be worth a try!

Now that's a great idea. I was just thinking today that they're still pretty tight around the tops of my feet. Tried them on with a pair of thicker socks (just regular men's athletic socks) and I couldn't wiggle my toes at all. No bueno. LOL Put my thin socks back on and vowed to remember to get inserts. LOL