The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Irritated with senior horse.. uff..pain in the. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/irritated-senior-horse-uff-pain-222266/)

stevenson 06-28-2013 05:39 PM

Irritated with senior horse.. uff..pain in the.

Just irritated with one of my ancient horses. Now he does not like the beet pulp, I had to add karo syrup to it so he will eat it.
I switched months ago to the pellets from the shreds, cost less, and the swell up just the same after the two hour soak, and since it is to hot to leave it outside to soak, I bring the bucket into the kitchen.
He eats his supplemental feed pellet, eats the A+M , but started leaving the beet pulp and then paces and begs for more.
guess I will have to see the cost difference for a hay pellet compared to the beet pulp and soak those for him,. He does get alfalfa hay and his feeder usually has fresh hay in it. I pull the stemmy stuff out every other day. hay is thrown morning and evening, and in the afternoon he gets the supplement feed and a scoop of it with the beet pulp and A+M in the evening . now that its HOT he is dropping weight . I am also getting him another salt lick, a plain white brick to go with the mineral one:-x:twisted:

Casey02 06-28-2013 06:03 PM

Darn old horses! My friend has a 30 year old gelding that will only eat a certain type of cubes. Any other cubes/pellets he will only eat enough to get him through the day. The brand he likes, he will gobble them right up!

Can he eat hay?

waresbear 06-28-2013 06:07 PM

I had an old guy who turned his nose up to beet pulp so mixed in black strap molasses (heated to make it & runny), stirred some shredded carrots & apples, a bit of salt and he polished it off.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wallaby 06-28-2013 06:11 PM

Can you mix the BP with a nominal amount of similarly soaked alfalfa/hay/rice bran pellets?

My old girl isn't a fan of plain BP either, but as long as it has 'flavor' from something tastier than just BP, she can somehow "choke it down" :wink:
I only need to feed her BP in the winter, but when I do, I just mix half her BP ration in with half her ration balancer+hay pellets, soak it all, and feed. Then I feed the other half at night (different depending on your feeding schedule/needs, of course).

She also really enjoys having raspberry leaves (you can buy them on Amazon, in bulk, for pretty cheap, added to her meals - it's my low calorie "tastiness go too." Salt is another good one, as is Apple Cider Vinegar [lots of health benefits from ACV too! just add it to the water you're soaking with]. Something about the tang, I guess? haha

Good luck! It's hard when these oldsters of ours get picky. I can commiserate with you!

Endiku 06-28-2013 06:58 PM

^ that's what I'm doing right now. Kenzie isn't picky at all, but she isn't a huge fan of BP. I've been mixing the BP in to her alfalfa pellets at a 2:1 ration (2 lb alfalfa, 1 lb BP shreds) and she eats it just fine. I first tried soaking them together but the alfalfa turns to mush after 2 hours, so I just start the BP and add in the alfalfa 30 minutes before feeding time.

deserthorsewoman 06-28-2013 07:06 PM

I found they " stick" with alfalfa pellets, but turn their nose up on beetpulp quite often. Mixing both, adding apples or carrots, or a handful of sweetfeed helps.
Alfalfa pellets are, if I'm not totally wrong, cheaper than beetpulp( not necessarily at TSC tho). Feeding those might be your best bet. Adding some salt in the soaked stuff makes it more palatable too.

Northern 06-28-2013 07:12 PM

Beet pulp must be tasteless roughage, since it's just the dregs of sugar beet sugar extraction. Perhaps you can taste it yourself, & then you'll see why horse wants flavor added.

I hope your irritation with horse is tongue-in-cheek; certainly a horse isn't wrong about what it finds palatable or not.

stevenson 06-30-2013 03:26 AM

the old poot just started a couple weeks ago of not finishing the beet pulp.
DHW , yes the prices at TSC are about the same, and today I got some hay pellets. The evening beet pulp was mixed with A+M (alfalfa shreds with molasses) . His salt lick was licked down and was small, so now he has a new 50lb block.
Northern,, there is no way I will try to eat the beet pulp I hate beets. And the beet pulp does have molasses in it.
I dont know about the rasberry leaves, I would have to check the toxic level on them.
The other ancient horses are still eating the beet pulp, but I may just faze it out. He does get alfalfa hay morning and nite.

verona1016 07-01-2013 02:52 PM

You could try mixing in some fenugreek- apparently it's very palatable for horses: Favorite Flavor Selected by Horses? Fenugreek! | EQUINE Ink

I've seen it in the bulk section of my grocery store; I may go get some to see if my horse likes it and then it could be a special treat :-)

stevenson 07-16-2013 02:50 AM

went back to the beep pulp Shreds. he is now cleaning them up.. The shreds must have more molasses ..lol.. oh well .. whatever it takes to get him finish his meals.