The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   What are you canning? (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/what-you-canning-222290/)

MHFoundation Quarters 06-28-2013 05:02 PM

What are you canning?

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd start one since we talked about it on our gardening thread and I'm going to be starting this evening. So, what is going on in everyone's kitchens?

First up on the list here, raspberry jam! DD & I have just started picking and we're maybe a tenth of the way through. :shock: They are just really getting a good start and there are tons not ready, we're going to have berries coming out of our ears and DD is going to look like the blueberry girl on Willy Wonka with her purple hands and likely semi-permanent lipstick. Blackberries are set on crazy heavy too, so they won't be too far behind. :D

20 minutes of picking yielded these. We're going to take gallon ice cream pails and the 4-wheeler for the next round lol.
Attachment 220962

SouthernTrails 06-28-2013 05:05 PM

I wish Indiana was not so far away :-(

MHFoundation Quarters 06-28-2013 05:06 PM

Sorry Kevin! Berries wouldn't ship well but jam will :wink:

Saddlebag 06-29-2013 09:09 AM

I generally freeze berries on cookie sheets then bag them up in one cup portions in sandwich bags then put them in large ziplocks. I don't label the bag but rather label a piece of paper with product names and dates and slip it into the bag. Did you know that by eating blueberries and rasperries you get a perfect balance of micronutrients. The highs and lows are counterbalanced by the other.

Taffy Clayton 06-29-2013 09:32 AM

I love raspberries!!!
I just drove through Indiana on the way home from MI on Wednesday, Darn!

I have canned so far this year:

Strawberry Jam
Strawberry jelly
Strawberry jalepino jam
Strawberry Amaretto Jam
Strawberry Pineapple Jam
Strawberry Lime Jam
about 65 8 oz jars so far!

Doing strawberry peach jam today, with the last strawberries and first peaches.
Blueberries are just coming on.

MHFoundation Quarters 06-29-2013 01:38 PM

Strawberry Amaretto? I need that recipe! I froze a bunch of strawberries so I could do strawberry/jalapeno when the peppers are ready. Might have to use part to try the amaretto!

Should have stopped by on your way through, you could have taken buckets of raspberries home. One side of our property runs parallel with a railroad track, they are all over down the sides of it. We picked in our woods yesterday, haven't even started down the rr track yet.

waresbear 06-29-2013 01:48 PM

I picked my rhubarb for my D/I/L to make jam, does that count?:lol:

verona1016 06-29-2013 01:53 PM

We planted strawberries in our yard last year and this year I've already picked and frozen over 3 gallons of them :-) I'm keeping some of them for smoothies, but I'm really wanting to try a recipe I saw for strawberry lemon marmalade.

apachiedragon 06-30-2013 09:52 AM

Nope of my stuff will ripen together so that I can can. (Can can? Am able to can...) I get like 3 blueberries one day. a single strawberry the next. Then the birds or something gets them, then I might get two more the day after that...

Taffy Clayton 06-30-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taffy Clayton (Post 2925146)
I love raspberries!!!
I just drove through Indiana on the way home from MI on Wednesday, Darn!

I have canned so far this year:

Strawberry Jam
Strawberry jelly
Strawberry jalepino jam
Strawberry Amaretto Jam
Strawberry Pineapple Jam
Strawberry Lime Jam
about 65 8 oz jars so far!

Doing strawberry peach jam today, with the last strawberries and first peaches.
Blueberries are just coming on.

I could not figure out why I had so many jelly's done. With 65 strawberries, I way over did it. I forgot the Cherry's

Cherry Jam
Cherry Jalapeņo Jam
Cherry Amaretto Jam