The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   First ever lunge lesson - no reins, no stirrups :D (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/first-ever-lunge-lesson-no-reins-222306/)

Hannah2016 06-28-2013 05:12 PM

First ever lunge lesson - no reins, no stirrups :D
 
My first ever lunge lesson, no reins no stirrups. I’d like some opinions please, just generally. Half of the clip is of me on the lunge (I know he wouldn’t pick up the right canter lead on the right rein, he really struggles with it) and then I’ve taken back my stirrups and reins and did a little trot and canter. What do you guys think?

One thing I know I definitely need to work on is my feet pointing out wards, right?



My grandparents were talking through out the clip, and it sounded weird silent to me, so i put a little music over the top, in case anyone wants to turn off their volume :D

jcraig10 07-03-2013 05:29 PM

cantering with no reins and no stirrups :shock: ...you're my hero

Corporal 07-03-2013 05:47 PM

NO FEET POINTED OUTWARDS!!!!!
Although even George Morris has written that some people's builds create a problem pointing the toes forward, you MUST point them as forward as possible. It will twist your legs, but you can train yourself to do so.
Your balance is compromised when your toes point out, and, when you ride with spurs and your toes are out, your will be hitting the horse with the spurs and not know it.
Otherwise, you will get a super seat JUST concentrating on it and not reining.

Hannah2016 07-05-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 2961922)
NO FEET POINTED OUTWARDS!!!!!
Although even George Morris has written that some people's builds create a problem pointing the toes forward, you MUST point them as forward as possible. It will twist your legs, but you can train yourself to do so.
Your balance is compromised when your toes point out, and, when you ride with spurs and your toes are out, your will be hitting the horse with the spurs and not know it.
Otherwise, you will get a super seat JUST concentrating on it and not reining.

I know I have a huge problem with my feet. It's actually something I've always a had a problem with, so maybe it could be my build. I wouldn't worry about my feet pointed outwards for spurs because I've never ridden in them, I'm more worried about.my position in general. Problem is I'm concentrating so I don't even notice I'm doing it and always forget to make it a habit. I'm gonna really try and sort that out in the near future

Hannah2016 07-05-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcraig10 (Post 2961738)
cantering with no reins and no stirrups :shock: ...you're my hero

Aww thank you :-) although personally I would have said trotting with no stirrups and reins is a little more impressive then cantering - which I kinda fail at :lol: plus marmite did all the work, he took care of me :')

xJumperx 07-13-2013 01:11 PM

As for the standpoint on feet pointed outwards, I have the build issue. My toes naturally pointed outward. I had to literally force my bone structure to twist. What I did was tie twine from my stirrups to the girth. It forces your toes in. Ride like that for a while, and when you stand around, try to stand with your toes pointed slightly inward. Your ankles and knees will actually HURT, but it will fix the problem. It did for me!

Writing this, and thinking of the people who say Equestrianism isn't a sport ... Football players don't CHANGE THEIR BONE STRUCTURE to play better, now do they!? :lol: :lol:

showjumperachel 07-13-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumperx (Post 3046674)
Writing this, and thinking of the people who say Equestrianism isn't a sport ... Football players don't CHANGE THEIR BONE STRUCTURE to play better, now do they!? :lol: :lol:

For the people who say equestrianism isn't a sport, they have clearly never even sat on a horse and probably have never watched anybody ride either! Those people drive me craz-ier!:shock:

Hannah2016 07-14-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xJumperx (Post 3046674)
As for the standpoint on feet pointed outwards, I have the build issue. My toes naturally pointed outward. I had to literally force my bone structure to twist. What I did was tie twine from my stirrups to the girth. It forces your toes in. Ride like that for a while, and when you stand around, try to stand with your toes pointed slightly inward. Your ankles and knees will actually HURT, but it will fix the problem. It did for me!

Writing this, and thinking of the people who say Equestrianism isn't a sport ... Football players don't CHANGE THEIR BONE STRUCTURE to play better, now do they!? :lol: :lol:

If I had my own horse, that's would actually be a great idea. Plus, my riding schools a bit on the cautious side - which is putting it lightly. Tying my feet to my stirrups would definitely not go down well with them.
I start to ignore people who say ridings not a sport. The only people's opinions I care about have all come and watched my lessons or have ridden themselves. They all understand how hard riding is, especially after watching me coming out of the ring sweating and bright red in the face.

Endiku 07-14-2013 02:59 PM

You have a good seat, from the looks of it. There are minor flaws but you're doing great!

I just had to pop in and say though, that the gelding you're riding is ADORABLE!

Hannah2016 07-16-2013 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endiku (Post 3055450)
You have a good seat, from the looks of it. There are minor flaws but you're doing great!

I just had to pop in and say though, that the gelding you're riding is ADORABLE!

For some reason he is a huge favourite. Personally, I'm not a big fan. He's very half hearted, won't even think of doing something unless you've asked about a thousand times. But he is lovely on ground, real sweet


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0