The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   How much jumping is too much? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/how-much-jumping-too-much-222322/)

As You Wish 06-28-2013 05:29 PM

How much jumping is too much?

I am starting to work my mare on her jumping again. How many days a week should I be working on this? I don't want to burn her out but on the other hand, I think with a lot of consistancy, she will work better.

Cinder 06-28-2013 05:32 PM

Subbing, I'm interested in any answers as well.

alexischristina 06-28-2013 05:44 PM

I don't like to see horses jumping more than once a week, it makes me queasy. If Jackson and I are working on something new, I'll jump during my lesson and then IF I decide to practice at home will drop the height way down. He loves to jump, but I worry about his joints.

If you're bringing a horse back in, who is already mature and solid on the flat, I would jump once a week ideally, to two or three times at the absolute most, but keeping the heights low.

palogal 06-28-2013 05:52 PM

Depends on the intensity of the jumping.

If it's low cross rails in an indoor arena that's very different than Prelim height Cross Country on hard ground.

It also depends on the physical shape of the horse.

For the run of the mill competition horse that is conditioned and trained to jump I would say no more than twice a week unless the third day was a show or something.

A horse that is learning to jump may do a few little fences several times a week as part of it's training.

An older horse doesn't need to be jumping more than once a week.

There are also time of the year that more jumping is appropriate, like show season for example.

ICUWest7 06-28-2013 05:52 PM

You could work her on a lunge line, without you on her back over some jumps, or free jump her through a gymnastics line to help her with her form and take some of the pressure off her knees if you want to jump her a little more than once a week.

As You Wish 06-28-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palogal (Post 2920882)
Depends on the intensity of the jumping.

If it's low cross rails in an indoor arena that's very different than Prelim height Cross Country on hard ground.

It also depends on the physical shape of the horse.

For the run of the mill competition horse that is conditioned and trained to jump I would say no more than twice a week unless the third day was a show or something.

A horse that is learning to jump may do a few little fences several times a week as part of it's training.

An older horse doesn't need to be jumping more than once a week.

There are also time of the year that more jumping is appropriate, like show season for example.

We are not jumping over 2' right now. Just simple veritcals and crossrails in the arena. She is in pretty good shape, 8 yrs old. I was thinking of working her over jumps twice a week. One weekend day and Wednesday. Never two days in a row. Our sessions don't last over 1 hr. There is a schooling show in a couple of months I wanted to take her in, a couple hunter classes.

alexischristina 06-28-2013 06:23 PM

That doesn't sound like too much at all, especially at that height. Keep changing things up, and I' sure you wont have a problem with 'souring' your horse.

palogal 06-28-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by As You Wish (Post 2921098)
We are not jumping over 2' right now. Just simple veritcals and crossrails in the arena. She is in pretty good shape, 8 yrs old. I was thinking of working her over jumps twice a week. One weekend day and Wednesday. Never two days in a row. Our sessions don't last over 1 hr. There is a schooling show in a couple of months I wanted to take her in, a couple hunter classes.

That sounds good. I would also play her a day off between the jumping days.

So if she worked 5 days a week, I would do flat, jump off, flat jump.

equestrianfriend 06-28-2013 06:45 PM

probably 2-4 days a week, plus a trail on the weekend and games.
Don't make her resent jumping!:D