The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   What is a good age for an eventer? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/what-good-age-eventer-222594/)

countfalcon 06-29-2013 06:53 AM

What is a good age for an eventer?

I know I'm posting a lot, but I really need some answers at the moment because I'm looking for a new horse to do eventing with and I'm not exactly sure what I need. The horse I'm looking at at the moment is a 12 year old Hanoverian gelding with lots of training. He's pretty much perfect, but I was just wondering, is 12 a good age for eventing? Or are younger horses generally better? I'm just starting out, and I've heard that its best to learn from older experienced horses, so he seems like a good option. I just wanted to hear some other opinions...

gypsygirl 06-29-2013 07:17 AM

12 is a fine age! Still plenty of years left in them!
Posted via Mobile Device

kindraeventing 06-29-2013 11:30 AM

My mare is 18 and still doing training level. Age is not a huge factor, in your position definitely look for something that knows its job and is reliable. I wouldn't go for a young horse yet since you're still learning about eventing.

Green+Green=Black+Blue

Good luck!

Thames Pirate 06-30-2013 02:34 PM

It totally depends on your purpose, your own experience, etc. For what you want, certainly older is better, and 12 is just about perfect because the horse DOES have a great number of years potentially left in there and because it's old enough to have done something, be a good teacher, etc. If the horse is perfect, by all means, go for it!

NaeNae87 07-01-2013 10:58 PM

12 is by no means an old horse. I would rather an older horse whenstarting out than a younger horse. My gelding is 15 and still acts like a 5 yr old.
There was a horse at London Olympics called Lenamore, he was 20 and still very competitive at 4* level! Caroline Powell retired him earlier this year.

albertaeventer 07-02-2013 06:29 PM

Agreed that 12 is definitely not old! I would put age a little farther down the list behind the training and experience you want your horse to have. The horse sounds like he would be a good fit, so don't let anyone tell you that 12 is "too old!"