The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What is your favorite horse book? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-your-favorite-horse-book-222618/)

Serenity616 06-29-2013 11:34 AM

What is your favorite horse book?

I thought it would be kind of fun to hear what each other's favorite horse book was... either fiction/non-fiction. It'd be a great way to get new book ideas to read as well! :D

Favorite Non-Fiction: Pretty much anything reliable. I LOVE soaking up as much information as I can about these beautiful animals! :D Lately I have been enjoying some training books.
Favorite Fiction: Thoroughbred Series (quite the walk down memory lane haha. I was OBSESSED with these books as a young girl. :lol:)

tinyliny 06-29-2013 01:55 PM

I enjoyed "Chosen by a Horse". It is non-fiction, but is not like a how-to book

I like Mary Wanless's "Ride with your Mind" .

Serenity616 06-29-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 2926250)
I enjoyed "Chosen by a Horse". It is non-fiction, but is not like a how-to book

Chosen by a Horse is actually on my "to-read" list! I am glad you liked it! It sounds like it would be really good! :D

Brighteyes 06-29-2013 02:04 PM

Non-fiction: The Horse Owner's Veterinary Manual or Go the Distance

Fiction: The Taos of Equus

waresbear 06-29-2013 02:16 PM

When I was about 7 or 8, I found this book in my school library, "Strawberry Roan". Held my interest, I had to read it nonstop until I had finished it.

Country Woman 06-29-2013 04:50 PM

The Black Stallion series

tinyliny 06-29-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenity616 (Post 2926306)
Chosen by a Horse is actually on my "to-read" list! I am glad you liked it! It sounds like it would be really good! :D

prepare to cry.

JennyV 06-30-2013 09:55 AM

For fiction, definitely Blaze of Glory. The sequel Look Twice was good too, but it didn't have as many riding scenes so I consider that one a borderline horse story. I also loved The Perfect Distance when I was younger, because I'm a H/J rider and it was realistic.

For non-fiction, I just read The Faraway Horses. It's basically Buck Brannaman's life story, and is it ever amazing.

lovexlaugh 06-30-2013 10:01 AM

When I was younger I loved The Saddle Club, Thoroughbred, Phantom Stallion and Heartland (among many others, these were just my top favourites!). I stopped reading horse books for a while, I had finished all the ones in the library LOL, but now I enjoy Sara Gruen books. They are a bit more "adult" but just as horsey!

My top favourite though? Gotta be The Horse Whisperer!

lovexlaugh 06-30-2013 10:03 AM

Almost forgot - I love Rachael Treasure, a top Aussie author who writes about farm life, with many horse appearances! Love it!