The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   SmartPaks??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/smartpaks-22265/)

DixiesPaintedNova 02-09-2009 12:11 AM

SmartPaks???

Im thinking of putting my new gelding on smartpaks. Could anyone tell me a little more about it. Someone at my barn uses them but i haven't had a chance to ask about them.

appylover31803 02-09-2009 12:19 AM

I got smartpaks once for my mare (a 28 day supply) but another mare at my barn also gets smartpaks.

I do know they come pre-measured and I believe everything is labeled. (My mare only got one thing, the mare magic. And the other mare gets 3 different supplements but I never noticed if it said anything on them)
They get delivered before you run out, so you never had to worry about running out.

They're pretty cool, but with some products its cheaper to just get a tub of it, rather than the smartpaks.

toosleepy 02-09-2009 11:20 AM

my friend uses the smart packs as its more convient for her. I just buy the large tubs when they are on sale or have a deal on shipping and then usually every few months rent a movie and sit and make up bags with the snack size bags. i usually do enough for 3 months at a time. for me the hr of my time is with the $$ savings

DixiesPaintedNova 02-09-2009 06:42 PM

thats actually a really good idea!!

Supermane 02-09-2009 09:24 PM

My gelding has a smartpak. It's super convenient and it allows me to change his supplement depending on the month and his weight, easily. I know people who do tubs, but I Herbie changes depending on season so it's just easier to have smartpak do it for me. I do buy Black as Knight
separately so that I can take him off a few weeks before I show.

Right now he is on:
SmartCalm Ultra
Cosequin SP
TractGard
Cocosoya Ultra SP

Next month he comes off Cocosoya.

upnover 02-10-2009 08:39 PM

depends on what your preferences are. i think they're a fantastic idea, esp if your horses is on multiple supplements. no more measuring, no more wondering if your horse got his supplements that day, no more ordering, etc. they come in the mail already set out for you. they're great for traveling, just pull out the number of paks you need for the days you'll be gone. plus anything you order from smartpak has free shipping if you can wait for it to be sent with your paks, etc.

mls 02-11-2009 03:27 PM

For one supplement, I do not see the advantage. If you keep your horses at home and only you feed, again I do not see an advantage.

If you board and the person feeding changes frequently I can see an advantage.

Personally I cannot get past all of the containers being thrown away. Use baggies or small rubbermaid containers.

appylover31803 02-11-2009 11:38 PM

I do believe the smartpaks are "green" and that they used mostly recycled plastic and encourage you to recycle the plastic as well.

Trails 02-13-2009 02:53 PM

I use smartpaks and like them. We've benn using them for about 8 months now and have been pleased. This is the first time we've ever boarded and we've founf that the ease factor makes it more sure that the barn help actually get the supplements to the horses. Having several different baggies wasn't workign for us.

They are rather spendy. If we had the horses with us I'd stick to bulk.

My two cents

Trails
www.trailmeister.com
Here's a link to an article on equine nutrition needs - it goes into what minerals do what and why.

bgood400 02-13-2009 06:08 PM

They make it really quick and easy to give your horses supplement, expecially if they are getting multiple things.