The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Dandruff Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/dandruff-question-22277/)

Equus_girl 02-09-2009 10:51 AM

Dandruff Question

I have been noticing that the horses in the field next to me have a lot of dandruff. One colt has it all over him and the others have tons in their manes. What causes this and are there any solutions?

travlingypsy 02-09-2009 11:38 AM

Have they been wormed/vacc? We had a pony who had TONS of dandruff and he was perfectly healthy but he had lice. So the BO just used the powdered lice killer stuff and it cleared it up. But usually horses only get lice when they are ill thats why eveyone at the barn was so shocked and powder was flying every where.

But my horse will get an annoying amout of dandruff and I use veggie oil, it cleared it up made her coat look nice. Just a cap full in her grain did the trick. Hope this helped?

Equus_girl 02-09-2009 12:37 PM

Thank-you for the info! They aren't my horses, I just take care of them for their owner, but I have contacted the owner and she is gettting them dewormed today. I will add some oil to the grain I feed them too.

travlingypsy 02-09-2009 01:01 PM

I hope they get better! And its nothing to serious

jemmamalone 02-09-2009 02:34 PM

My gypsy vanner used to get this but it was because his main was so thick that if you didnt brush it every day or every other day he would start to get dandruff. I agree with travlingypsy its nothing serious. I hope your problem clears up

koomy56 02-10-2009 11:07 PM

Soaked flax seed brings on the shine and promotes more natural oils..works for horses and also works for my dog! :)

hunterjumpergirl 02-16-2009 04:05 PM

I've herd of people using human hair conditioner for dandruff. But "don't shoot the messenger" if it doesn't work or something else happens.

travlingypsy 02-16-2009 04:52 PM

I also just heard today that sun flower seeds work, but not sure if it works.

jemmamalone 02-16-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunterjumpergirl (Post 252373)
I've herd of people using human hair conditioner for dandruff. But "don't shoot the messenger" if it doesn't work or something else happens.

I have heard that too, and im guessing if you use like head and sholders which is pure enough to not irratate their skin but also gets rid of dandruff im sure it could work.

eventnwithwinston 02-16-2009 06:55 PM

You can use listerine, and cheap hair conditioners. Mane N Tails, some from Walgreen, they all worked for me and my horses. Lets just say they got many compliments on their thick, soft tails. haha