The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   2 point (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/2-point-222794/)

cowgal366 06-29-2013 06:23 PM

2 point

I've just started english and am working on two point but i can't figure out how to do it correctly. I'm either slumped over or i can't get my butt high enough without slumping. Please any help will be greatly apreciated. :D

MyBoyPuck 06-29-2013 08:08 PM

To find your correct two point position, stand straight up in the stirrups and find your balance so you're not tipping forward or back without holding onto your horse's neck. Let all your weight sink deeply into your heels. Then, without moving anything from your knees down, sit almost down in the saddle so you are hovering just over it. That is your correct two point position. You will find your upper body will have to come in front of the vertical a bit to keep you balance over your feet. Once you find it, walk around like that and try to keep the position without using your horse for balance. Then try it at trot and canter.

JennyV 06-30-2013 09:04 AM

I agree with MyBoyPuck's advice. When you're beginning it also helps to rest your hands on the neck, as you would for a medium crest release. Shorten your reins and press your closed fingers into the crest of the neck. Let the weight sink into your heels and make sure your lower leg is firm against your horse's side, so that it's not slipping forward or backward. Keep your back flat or slightly arched, and your eyes looking forward. Then, once you're in position, practice maintaining it at different gaits. Eventually you won't need the neck for balance. Good luck :)

equitate 06-30-2013 11:24 AM

Before mounting do this: squat light on the ground (bended knees/hips/etc). Then do this on a step (heels lowered, but knees and hips also flexion). Then before doing anything in the HALT, stand up in the stirrups. Then do this but with the closing of all the joints. Have a person on the ground pull you lower leg forward (ie heels to deep). What happens? You fall backward. Then have the person pull the lower legs backward. What happens? You fall forward. So, they you start to see the importance of feathering all the leg joints, and NEVER pinching with the knees.

When you can maintain your balance at the halt, hands out from shoulders and rise and SOFtlY sit down (with somebody holding the horse). Then work on the same thing at walk and/or trot (someone holding horse if necessary). Find out what happens with if/then tests (positioning of lower leg/of chest/of knees).

waresbear 06-30-2013 11:35 AM

It helps immensely to have someone on the ground who knows the correct position coaching you. I'd be a mess without that help.
Posted via Mobile Device

cowgal366 07-03-2013 06:06 PM

Thank you all so much i will be sure to tell you all how it improves!

Waresbear i have a friend who helps me but in the end she starts laughing because i do a completely horriable job with my two point now.