The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   look what i made / is this okay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/look-what-i-made-okay-22281/)

appy rider 4 life 02-09-2009 12:42 PM

look what i made / is this okay?

2 Attachment(s)
i made my own stirrup holder and is it okay if i use my curb bit on my english bridle for right now?

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-09-2009 01:47 PM

I don't know of any laws saying you can't use a curb with an english bridle :lol:

But then again I don't ride english :oops: Cool stir up keeper upper though.

appy rider 4 life 02-09-2009 01:54 PM

i know and i am to lazy to buy a snaffle right now.

iridehorses 02-09-2009 01:57 PM

I just called the curb strap police!! They are on their way to pick up your horse and all your tack!!! (LOL)

As long as your horse doesn't mind, using that curb bit and strap is OK. It may not be acceptable in a show but for schooling or hacking, it is just fine, especially if that is what he is used to. BTW, you know that you have to neck rein him with that bit - not direct rein.

I like your stirrup holder. What I used to do was to take the excess stirrup leather and run it around the step on the stirrup to help hold it. That way I didn't have anything extra to carry or lose.

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-09-2009 01:58 PM

LOL.... I'm too lazy to put my snaffle up for sale!! Actually I just can't decide on whether or not to keep it or sell it. :roll:

I think you'd be fine, if anyone throws a fit....tell them to buy you a snaffle!!! :lol:

claireauriga 02-09-2009 02:25 PM

I'm sure I've read before somewhere that you're not supposed to use a direct rein with a curb bit - can anyone tell me if that's at all true or not?

JustDressageIt 02-09-2009 02:48 PM

Regarding direct reining with a curb bit: It's not bad for the horse, but it's harder for the horse to understand since you're adding leverage to a bit that has no joint, it's not a clear signal.

If you want to ride with direct rein on your horse and really ride English, a new snaffle is usually less than $20, and is worth the investment. I suggest a double joint rather than the usual single joint.

iridehorses 02-09-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 247848)
Regarding direct reining with a curb bit: It's not bad for the horse,

I have to disagree completely. There is a section in this article that explains why shanked bits are not made to be direct reined: Today's Horse - The Trouble with Tom Thumb

Although the article concerns the Tom Thumb, it pertains to all shanked bits. Just because it is commonly done, does not make it correct and can easily be related to problems that the rider attributes to other things.

StormyBlues 02-09-2009 05:33 PM

:wink:cool sturrip holder! regarding the bit question, I would just order a simple snaffle from dover, Dover Saddlery - Search Results for Snaffle Bit
heres an idea

JustDressageIt 02-09-2009 09:52 PM

Sorry, iride.. I still believe that riding direct-rein with a curb bit is not detrimental to the horse... if you have good hands.