The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Wanting some info on this standardbred gelding conformation (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/wanting-some-info-standardbred-gelding-conformation-222954/)

CountryGirlAtHeart 06-30-2013 12:56 AM

Wanting some info on this standardbred gelding conformation

4 Attachment(s)
I know the photos are not the best, but I'd like to know what you think of this 6yr old standardbred gelding's conformation and movement, and what disciplines might work for him.

Thanks.

JCnGrace 06-30-2013 01:40 AM

I think he's a good looking horse.

We had a guy give us a standardbred off the track once because he wasn't fast enough and then we gave him to my niece because we didn't need another horse.

She has done pretty much everything with him. He's one of those "jack of all trades but master at none" type of horses. He was willing and could do about anything but was not going to be a champion. She wouldn't take a million bucks for him.

CountryGirlAtHeart 06-30-2013 08:33 AM

Would love more critiques!

Tracer 06-30-2013 08:50 AM

Not the best photos for a crit, but by what I can see he's pretty darn well put together. Shoulder is a bit steep, neck looks to be set a bit low, tied below the knee, and his legs are a bit on the thin side, but apart from that he's not bad.

I could see him doing pretty much anything low level. Standies are becoming well known for endurance if you wanted to give that a try, but they can generally do just about anything.

CountryGirlAtHeart 06-30-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracer (Post 2931970)
Not the best photos for a crit, but by what I can see he's pretty darn well put together. Shoulder is a bit steep, neck looks to be set a bit low, tied below the knee, and his legs are a bit on the thin side, but apart from that he's not bad.

I could see him doing pretty much anything low level. Standies are becoming well known for endurance if you wanted to give that a try, but they can generally do just about anything.

Thanks for your thoughts. What do you mean by 'tied below the knee' and his shoulder is a bit steep? I'm not clear on all the terms yet...

Tracer 07-01-2013 05:42 AM

For the shoulder, take that standing photo of him. Draw a line from the top of his withers to the point of his shoulder (aka the bony bit of his chest), and then a line from the point of shoulder to his elbow. The wider the angle of those lines, the smoother the horse should be and the easier it will be for them to bring their knees up when jumping. His angle is a bit under 90 degrees, and 90 is the base for a good shoulder. So he's not off by much.

As for tied below the knee, that has to do with the cannon bone. See how they seem to thin a little as they get up toward the knee? He's by no means the worst I've seen, in fact looking at it again today it's very slight.

CountryGirlAtHeart 07-01-2013 09:23 AM

Tracer, thanks very much for your comments, you're a great help :)

CandyCanes 07-01-2013 09:36 AM

He's a lovely horse... I love blacks :)
He does appear to have a straight shoulder, and slightly weak hind quarters.
His withers are a little high, and the neck a bit short...But I have seen horses much, much worse :)

rookie 07-02-2013 06:28 PM

He is cute. He does have big withers which may make it harder to get him a saddle that fits. I am no scratch a conformation. He does not have from the pictures a really extended trot. I love standardbreds so really in my book its not a question of what can he do but what does he love doing (its probably not racing) and what do you want to do! You get a standardbreds heart and they will give until there is nothing left to give.