The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Pat Parelli (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/pat-parelli-223/)

barnrat 01-03-2007 08:02 PM

Pat Parelli

I was wondering if any of you guys did parelli?
Parelli is mainly what my friend sarah does, she is really good and is about to buy the horse she has been doing parelli with for the past year. She is about to send in the video to complete level 1 and she has already started some level 2 things. Just wanted to know if anyone did parelli and how much you enjoy it.

child in time 01-13-2007 07:04 PM

I've tried Parelli and it goes slow but it goes... In the meantime I had red some other books wich are not parelli so I have a little bit different thinking about natural. I have mix of all methods...monty, parelli, rashid...

barnrat 01-13-2007 09:22 PM

Thats exactly what I have done child in time :wink:

Raini 01-15-2007 05:46 PM

well Susan has pointed out that I am pretty much obsessed with parelli. If I wasn't lazy I'd get my video camera out and film it. I don't think parelli nessecarily goes slow. You can pass off level 1 in a matter of 2 or three weeks. It kind of depends on the horse......which goes for everything. It really depends on how set on it you are too. If you have a goal about getting those 7 games down lickity split it can be done. I think Pat is great because he really emphasizes being natural. John Lyons is more just groundwork not really the whole body language. Monty Roberts is kind of like a fast way of doing it. Which is just fine but I really felt like developing a long time natural relationship with my horse. So everything I do is natural from riding to brushing to saddling where as Monty Roberts does his little groundwork stuff then hops on and that's where I think he loses the savvy (in my opinion) That's why I love Pat so much. He is SOO savvy about everything. heck that's the whole program.

Playfulpromises 02-08-2007 08:56 AM

I did it with my horse when I first got her, I did it for a year with her to calm her down as she was very unsettled when she was moved. Anyway, I found it very useful and fun. It helped a great deal with my relationship with Tessa (my horse.)
Some people think its a very slow process, but it doesn't have to be, I went on two courses to pass my level 1, they were expensive but definitly worth it, after you've completed your level one it only gets better.
I think you should try it, if its not for you you will know.
Leonora

blackfilly 02-14-2007 03:20 AM

ok please don't take this as an atack or im trying to start a fight but. I wont go into to much detail but with nautral horsemanship as far as i think i would ever go is the idea that listening to your horse is the key. All the other fandangle stuff i will never evan bother touching.

jumpingqueen 02-17-2007 12:38 AM

I am not into natural horsemanship, due to the fact that my horses seem perfectly content with my instructor and all, but it is a very intresting method. My friend Renee loves it though, she says that it is the best and only way to train a horse. I beg to differ. :?

brandig 02-19-2007 09:10 PM

parelli

i have been doing parelli since the first of dec. and love it!! it does seem slow but level one is baby stepping. we all have to learn to roll over then get on all 4s then crawl then walk then run. that is how it is set up but wouldn't we all just like to get up and run!!??? i love it!! but you can make it what you want. fast or slow and add to it. make it your own. i like anderson too and lyons as well!! they are all pretty much the same.

mandaleacalico 03-21-2009 04:14 AM

Wow, I'm a little late :?

ANyways, I've been doing Parelli for about 5 years, on and off because i was boarding, but we moved to our own place about 2 years ago, after I bought Taffy, who I got about a month before we moved, and I didn't do ANYTHING Parelli with him till we moved, and I passed my level 1 in 3 months. Would have liked to have gotten it earlier, but he's an extreme Left-Brain Extrovert, and super dominate, so we were constantly fighting.

But, we are dabbling in lvl 3 at the moment, but haven't passed level 2 yet, because I was sick the day of the assessments at our local centre, and now I have to learn the Patterns, and go by those.

I can admit, sometimes I wish I never started Parelli, and that I could just go how I was before, because there wasn't the fighting with him, but then there are times, like at a comp or clinic, when everybody else's horses are freaking out, and he just stands there :D:D

mandaleacalico 03-21-2009 04:35 AM

Just remembered, Christine Corbidge is staying at my house for a couple of weeks, as of tomorrow, because we just had the Australian Celebration here, and all the instructors are at the Savvy Centre, and all the beds are taken, so she asked us. :D

Pretty cool huh?:wink: