The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   how the heck? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/how-heck-223178/)

littrella 06-30-2013 02:37 PM

how the heck?

3 Attachment(s)
I am getting very close to putting Danee to the cart. My instructor has quick release attachments on everything, so now I'm trying to figure out how my traces conecet to my single tree. HELP!!!!

Taffy Clayton 06-30-2013 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You need a hook end single tree.

Attachment 222194

Taffy Clayton 06-30-2013 04:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your single tree might work, it maybe considered a sword end single tree. I personally do not like sword end single trees, I do not think they are safe.
The slot on your traces slides over the end of your single tree, then the hook mechanism secures it.

Attachment 222202

littrella 06-30-2013 05:11 PM

There are no hooks on there. I've been looking at the parts on Iowa Valley's web sight, but I don't know which ones to order

Taffy Clayton 06-30-2013 05:49 PM

Iowa Valley is more of a harness supply you need a carriage supply.
Whittmer's Coach Shop, in New Holland, PA is my favorite, but they don't have a web site.
You can call and they will send you a catalog for a few $, well worth it to have.

Hook end Single Trees

Horse Cart Parts Montana Singletree Parts Buggy Doubletrees Pony Single Trees

I haven't found any metal single trees, but here are some wood ones, You might have to order the piece that attaches the singletree to the cross bar too, cannot remember what that is called right now.
Can you take a photo of the way your singletree attaches to your crossbar?

Taffy Clayton 06-30-2013 06:53 PM

I take that back Iowa valley does have single trees>

Woodblanks | Iowa Valley Carriage

You could call Sandy and ask what she recommends.

greentree 06-30-2013 09:03 PM

You could just slip your trace over the singletree, then use one of those rings with the straight pieces that snaps down to keep it on there. Sorry, I do not know what those ringy-thingies are officially called!!!

Nancy

littrella 06-30-2013 11:07 PM

Greentree, I was explaining all this to my husband & he said the exact same thing! He said I can get "lynch pins" at TSC for a few bucks each

Taffy Clayton 06-30-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littrella (Post 2938082)
Greentree, I was explaining all this to my husband & he said the exact same thing! He said I can get "lynch pins" at TSC for a few bucks each

I don't like suggesting make shift ways to harness up, BUT
If you go this route, give the Lynch pins a couple wraps with electrical tape, just in case.

Skyseternalangel 06-30-2013 11:12 PM

Just be careful, I'm not a driver but I do know that lynch pins can wiggle loose so check on it from time to time to make sure that it stays put!