The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Age of maturity (in general) for a Holsteiner (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/age-maturity-general-holsteiner-223186/)

tlkng1 06-30-2013 02:42 PM

Age of maturity (in general) for a Holsteiner

I have a line on a young Holsteiner dressage prospect, age 3, that the owner says is still growing and will probably top out over 17 hands (16.3 now). I have tried a search but I can't locate the general age of maturity. I know warmbloods mature later than the other breeds (do we call them cold blooded? :) )

SouthernTrails 06-30-2013 03:49 PM

On the average a Holsteiner will stop growing at age 6

tlkng1 06-30-2013 04:32 PM

Given the extra three years of growth, what is the danger of damage due to training. While he is free jumping to 4' and jumping what looks like about 3' with a rider, I wouldn't be jumping him as I only ride dressage. Now, just to keep up his potential I could have a trainer work with his jumping but in truth would wait on that until he finished growing. Given the basics of dressage, which he already has to some natural extent already, how much training could be done before he stops growing?

SouthernTrails 06-30-2013 04:51 PM

He is 3 YO an jumping feet with a rider?

I am by no means an expert, but from what I have heard, that would be a sign to not purchase him or be very reluctant.

Definitely have a Full Vet Check done and I would suggest X-rays of his knees to see if the plates are forming properly or have not been damaged.

tlkng1 06-30-2013 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looking at the photos again it may be closer to 2' but he is definitely jumping a vertical. Ad says he has been jumping crossrails, grids and "small" fences with a rider while free jumping 4'.

Jore 06-30-2013 07:37 PM

I'd wait for others to chime in, but three years old seems way too earlier to be jumping any horse with a rider. Then again, I'm of the opinion that a horse should have a solid foundation in flatwork before beginning any actual jumping, which I can't imagine a three year old would have.

I definitely agree with SouthernTrailsGA on the x-rays if you were interested in purchasing him.

tlkng1 06-30-2013 07:57 PM

I was always of the mind that there wasn't to be any jumping until the plates had closed, on any horse. At this point he is just a vid and an e-mail. Trying to get more pics as the distance would mean a plane ride to go see him. After past history with horses, x-rays are a given.

Jore 06-30-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlkng1 (Post 2935762)
I was always of the mind that there wasn't to be any jumping until the plates had closed, on any horse. At this point he is just a vid and an e-mail. Trying to get more pics as the distance would mean a plane ride to go see him.

Agreed, all the horses I know weren't started in jumping (even over small cross-rails) until the age of five, at the very least. Hopefully all works out for you if you decide to pursue him further!

Muppetgirl 06-30-2013 08:20 PM

I worked on a Holsteiner stud in NZ for a time....the horses were not started until long four year olds and then very very lightly ridden.

deserthorsewoman 06-30-2013 08:24 PM

The taller the horse, the longer it takes. Fully grown, you're looking at 7 years. Back is last to mature.
Unfortunately we're having the throw away mentality with horses too.
It used to be start them slowly in late fall, after pasture season, in their 3-year old year, ride them lightly during winter, and throw them out on pasture the next summer to mature. Then, after pasture season, more serious work would begin.
Nowadays people want a 3 year old which won the Olympics and has 15 foals on the ground which are world champions........sad.
A very thorough full PPE is an absolute must for this horse. And not only physically...mentally also. I've seen plenty of horses purchased at the 3 year old riding horse auctions for 6 digit prices which need to go on pasture for at least a year, because they're completely out of their mind and unrideable.