The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Summer heat *rant* (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/summer-heat-%2Arant%2A-223218/)

PaintLover17 06-30-2013 05:14 PM

Summer heat *rant*

I really hate summer. Friday, Saturday, and today have been around 118. I think it actually got up to 121 yesterday. It's just so miserable! I woke up at 6:00 today and yesterday to ride and it was already 95. Even the water in the hose stays hot and doesn't really cool the horses off all that well. And worst of all the humidity hit today. It's only about 20%, but feels awful combined with the heat. Anyway, this was kind of a pointless rant. Is anyone else dealing with terrible weather this summer?
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 06-30-2013 05:40 PM

It's been pretty hot by me. In the 90's, which may not seem that bad but when you have 90%+ humidity its suffocating!
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 06-30-2013 06:06 PM

Move to a cooler state! :-P

Phly 06-30-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 2934250)
It's been pretty hot by me. In the 90's, which may not seem that bad but when you have 90%+ humidity its suffocating!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sooo with you on that! We've been in the high 80's and honestly 90% humidity. With no breeze! It's rough!
We been waiting to ride till near sundown and its still sticky. I hate when you can SEE the air, any it typically is filled with flys.
Last summer was dry and hot, this summer has been very wet and very warm. But, I did buy hay today for $3.50 a bale. Soo, I guess I'll suffer....

One thing that ya learn fast in northern indiana is, if ya don't like the weather? Just wait a minute, it'll change....
Posted via Mobile Device

lilypoo 06-30-2013 07:05 PM

Yes, I'm in the southeast valley and it was baaaaad yesterday. I haven't ventured outside yet today but I'm dreading it after yesterday.

One of our A/C units hasn't been working properly even after several repairs and replacing, etc. The only room in the house that's cool is the master bedroom.

So tired of being overheated! And wishing we could move somewhere cheap and cool! But we don't want to leave our friends behind either.

smrobs 06-30-2013 08:20 PM

I suppose this year has been rather cool compared to the last couple. I think we've only gone over 100 a handful of times this year. Last year, we had nearly every day in June and half of May was 100+.

However, we've had some funky weather for this area. Normally it's more like AZ, hot and dry and windy; but this year, it's still been pretty warm, but with fairly high humidity (averaging around 50%, which is pretty dang high for this area) and virtually no wind. It wouldn't be so horrible except I'm just not used to it.

deserthorsewoman 06-30-2013 08:30 PM

I can offer 107.... central San Joaquin valley, Cali. Humidity 19%
Normally, NW winds pick up mid afternoon here, but seems the wind is staying home too......
Farmers here have trouble baling hay....too dry, so they bale early morning.....

smrobs 06-30-2013 08:34 PM

LOL, Desert, you just reminded me of something! The other day, it was 110 here with fairly high humidity (heat index said, I think, 118). I happened to be watching the national weather report on TWC and they were making a huge deal about the temps in Death Valley.

Guess what the "big, nasty, horrible" high temp was they were talking about.......:twisted:

95 degrees!!!!

I just had to laugh and roll my eyes.

deserthorsewoman 06-30-2013 08:49 PM

Lol...but now they have a reason...129 in death valley.....
But I still do much better with double digits...;-)
When living in Italy, high 90's plus the high humidity was a killer.....not even the Mediterranean helped much. And it wouldn't cool down but maybe 10 degrees overnight.
How are your horses dealing with it? Mine have an airy run in with a big tree behind it, but chose to stay out in the sun, in the breeze. The QH is wet, the appendix a little on the neck and shoulder, the Arab bone dry.......:-)

Kayella 06-30-2013 09:03 PM

You know, we were talking about the weather earlier and it's supposed to get "cooler" for the next couple weeks. My words? "thank god it's going to be in the 90's!" :lol: It got up to 107 yesterday. And living by the coast, we have a good 30-50% humidity at any time, and that's dry to us!! I can deal with dry heat, but humid heat is a killer.
Posted via Mobile Device