The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Jealous Horse Friends? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/jealous-horse-friends-223242/)

WesternTale 06-30-2013 05:04 PM

Jealous Horse Friends?

Anyone have any of these? I have a quite a bit... Since theres only 1 riding barn in a 45 minute radius that charges quite a bit. And lets just say im not exactly "poor". But it comes to assert me that a lot of people give me the cold shoulder when i talk about horses with my friends, even some of my friends will do it. Now, i barely bring up my riding, ill only talk about it when someone else brings it up for that exact reason. I take my friends riding with me quite a bit, and then they will tell everyone else and it all comes back to me as people try to say im "rubbing it in their faces by having a horse" Which i dont understand. Im a sophomore so i thought people would be more mature about everything now but apparently not...

Anyone else have problems like this?

Skyseternalangel 06-30-2013 05:10 PM

The old adage goes "rich people have horses" which isn't true at all. Given any income one can budget something they really want. Sure they may need two jobs and not going clothes shopping for a few months, but they get what they want.

A lot of people, including my boyfriend, were very on edge when they found out about Sky. They immediately thought of me as rich and snooty and spoiled. But as they got to know me, they realized that wasn't the case.

Like you, I don't really bring up Sky unless someone asks about him. I find that they respond better if I leave it up to them instead of talk about him allllllll the time (which I do with my horse gals lol)

Maybe the way in which you talk about your horse comes off as insensitive to them. Maybe they see it as bragging.

Eitherway it's up to you on how you handle it. You don't have to tiptoe persay, but you should respect others and have mind to not talk about something that you know upsets them. It's the least friends can do for eachother.

Meanwhile you should try and make some horsey friends so you can talk their ear off about your awesome Friesian X! :)

toto 06-30-2013 05:11 PM

Some people dont like to talk about horses- non horsey people just dont get it. :-P

WesternTale 06-30-2013 05:12 PM

Thats the thing though, aha, when people bring it up, i keep it short and simple to exclude that im not bragging. But same as you, my friend also has ahorse and we talk about it allll the time.

hemms 06-30-2013 05:15 PM

I got horses. I wear my kickers to your bbq. What of it. Don't stand downwind if it 's not yo thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

hemms 06-30-2013 05:20 PM

The majority of people who flow through your life are simply the decorations of circumstance. Do what you need to do to live your happy life. If they want to join your party, all the merrier. If they want to rage their own, all the power to em. True friends stand with you through time and events. They're the gems that fortify your soul. Don't sweat the fluff and certainly don't live your life for anyone else. Chin up and smile.
Posted via Mobile Device

WesternTale 06-30-2013 06:02 PM

Very true, well said.

EquineObsessed 06-30-2013 06:20 PM

I've never had to deal with it, but my best friends went to a Ken McNabb and he told them straight up that they we're some of the best riders he had seen, and he would consider sending them some horses for training. I was nothing but happy for them- when a national clinician tells you he'd send you horses to train, that is a BIG deal, and I couldn't be more thrilled for their training careers. Another friend, however, also a rider, was incredibly jealous because she didn't go to the clinic, and she wasn't getting the attention, so she started telling everyone how she was thinking of interning with Clinton Anderson because he was better anyway. It was very frustrating to watch. She couldn't just be happy for them- she was jealous and wanted to one up them, and it's something I see a lot in the horse world.

5Bijou5 06-30-2013 06:56 PM

I feel bad about bragging about my horse (I do this often) so I try to take my friends out to the barn as often as I can so they can share my joy and understand where I am coming from. Some don't take to it but at least I tried. It is a good thing I have to bombproof horses that love cuddles. :P

WesternTale 06-30-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquineObsessed (Post 2934962)
I've never had to deal with it, but my best friends went to a Ken McNabb and he told them straight up that they we're some of the best riders he had seen, and he would consider sending them some horses for training. I was nothing but happy for them- when a national clinician tells you he'd send you horses to train, that is a BIG deal, and I couldn't be more thrilled for their training careers. Another friend, however, also a rider, was incredibly jealous because she didn't go to the clinic, and she wasn't getting the attention, so she started telling everyone how she was thinking of interning with Clinton Anderson because he was better anyway. It was very frustrating to watch. She couldn't just be happy for them- she was jealous and wanted to one up them, and it's something I see a lot in the horse world.

Ugh, youre lucky you never had to deal with it yourself.