The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   scared to bow!?!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/scared-bow-22333/)

georgiakh 02-10-2009 04:06 AM

scared to bow!?!?

I am trying to teach my horse to bow. she will put her head in between her legs but wont stretch back. If she REALLy wants the treat she will walk backwards. I am trying to do the one where they lean back rather than go down on there knee. any suggestions or reasons why she may be like this?

koomy56 02-10-2009 09:48 AM

It may be because she isn't very flexible through her back/shoulders so just be patient. Try making her reach for her cookie towards her ankle, and the second you feel her go to that place, give her a treat. Do that from both sides to loosen her up a bit. Try not to exceed her abilities too soon, or she won't try. :) So first maybe work on her trusting that it's okay to stretch those muscles, and you'll find little by little she'll stretch a bit further.
The little guy I'm teaching to bow I was thinking he'd never get it. Then all of the sudden one day he offered it and then it was there. So just be patient. :)

Dumas'_Grrrl 02-10-2009 01:42 PM

I read the title wrong and I thought your horse was scared to bowl :lol: :oops:

I agree with Koomy, patience and stretching....You'll get there!!!

georgiakh 02-10-2009 04:08 PM

thanks...hmmm...maybe she isnt that good at jumping coz of lack of flexibility, is there any excersizes to improve flexibility? she doesnt like to pick up her back legs until the front ones are on the ground, which means we can only jump lil jumps.

koomy56 02-10-2009 04:45 PM

Hm. I'd have to see a pic/video to fully understand what you mean.
Alot of lateral sessions would improve her flexibility and suppleness.
Teaching her to better organize her feet, ground poles, lateral stuff too, would help.
You can do stretches with her to increase her flexibility, like carrot stretches. I've have big results from doing these on a consistent basis.
Today's Horse - Carrot-Practics Self Chiropractic for horses