The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Fatal fires in south eastern Australia (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/fatal-fires-south-eastern-australia-22334/)

Pinto Pony 02-10-2009 05:52 AM

Fatal fires in south eastern Australia

Don't know if you guys have seen on the news but this past weekend some bushfires ravaged through Victoria, a state in the south here. The current death toll is 173. There are so many horrific stories but this one really tugged at my heart strings http://209.85.12.232/html/emoticons/sad.gif Two sisters trying to save their horses with some of the neighbours kids where burned to death.
Young sisters died for their horses | The Daily Telegraph

There are floods in Queensland (North eastern state) and fires down south http://209.85.12.232/html/emoticons/sad.gif The country is in mourning for all the lives lost and all the animals. I can hardly believe the amount of lives lost. I hope the arsonist/murderers (yes they are saying that most of the fires where deliberately lit!) are caught and get some of their own back ie being tortured with fire!!!

acey 02-10-2009 06:10 AM

oh my that story is sooo sad....im nearly in tears.......i think i would have done the same thing :(

RedHawk 02-10-2009 07:19 AM

I'm down in VIC where all the fires are, and I think I'm still in shock. It's just horrific. All those homes and lives lost...:-( There's been so much damage, aparently you can see the black areas burned across the state even from satelite pics.

Andi 02-10-2009 08:10 AM

These fires have been horrific, and while the media does cover the human lives lost, rarely to they talk about the animals, both domestic and wild.

A few years ago in Canberra, where I live, we had pretty bad fires, we only lost four people but it was still pretty horrific. I had a horse at the time and we had locked about 20 horses in this wooden yard about the size of an average round yard that had pretty clear ground surrounding it. The thing is that there weren't really any safe places to take the horses because the whole of Canberra was insane that day. They ended up dumping a helicopter load of water on top of our horses and the surrounding area - we lost none.

At another agistment place, I won't mention its name, they lost I think it was between 60 - 100 horses. Thats not the worst of it. The owner had a very large and nice arena and she put her horses in and some others, but when more of her agisters came to put their horses in she said no, because it would ruin her arena flooring. Apparently people were riding away bareback escaping the fires, and so many horses died in the fire storm, or were too badly burnt to be saved. The arena is still there.

I remember other bad stories about horses that died - I won't mention them, but whenever I think about the fires in Victoria I think about the human lives lost and all the poor horses.

Pinto Pony 02-10-2009 04:20 PM

I remember the fires in Canberra :( very sad!

It is so sad how the people in Kingslake area aren't being allowed to go back and see whats left because it is being treated like a crime scene. They have nothing and can't go back in to look for lost pets or belongings. How frustrating for them. I hope they have been let back in by now!

wild_spot 02-10-2009 07:06 PM

Andi - I used to work at that agistment place, and I remember being shocked at her actions, though not altogether surprised... A friend of mine who still worked there was out there the day of the fires. It was horrible.

We put all our horses and our 8 dogs and our car in a sheepyard, while I stood there with a fire hose. Luckily it got to within half a k of us, but was contained there.

The fires in VIC are just tragic... I'll be going through my shed tonight to finsd things to donate to a tack drive that is being held.

makin tracks 02-11-2009 02:19 AM

Yes, its awful. I will be travelling to Victoria in about 3 weeks and I am hoping to collect some useable items for people treating animals hurt in the fires and take them down from Queensland.

I think the arsonists and the looters should just be dumped in the middle of the fire zone and left to figure it out. If we loose them, so be it!!!

Of course, the fires have overwhelmed the floods up this way. Seeing pictures last night of all the poor cattle caught in yards and drowned - and others that are so skinny because they have no feed.

Then on the weekend about 200km from us, 5 people died in a 2 car smash, and this morning 100km from us 1 person died in a car and truck smash with 2 others badly injured.

This beautiful country full of deadly extremes - but we love it so.

makin tracks 02-12-2009 02:38 AM

It appears the the last smash was due to the wet weather. Apparently the car aquaplaned into the truck.

A lot of people knew the guys (not me though) as they worked at one of the mines not far from where they crashed.