The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Endurance Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/)
-   -   What to pack on short rides? (http://www.horseforum.com/endurance-riding/what-pack-short-rides-223346/)

TrailDustMelody 06-30-2013 08:26 PM

What to pack on short rides?

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I'm also new to distance riding. I've had my arab mare for a few years but just lately started officially conditioning for distance. There are a few issues for us as far as getting up to a 25 mile ride, mainly her age (18) and us not having a trailer. :P But I figure that we'll do the best we can and see where we can go. :)

So I have a pretty good tack setup...comfy saddle, breastplate, roomy cantle bag, etc. but I'm not sure what I should be packing for my rides. Right now I bring a bite and sting kit (we're in rattlesnake country), pocket knife, small 'human' first aid kit, lead rope, fly spray, and a pear/carrots/something that my horse and I can both eat. I also carry my phone in a case attached to my belt. Right now, we ride 4-5 miles on the trails and roads behind our property. Does this sound like adequate packing, or are there other things I should bring? (I'm trying to find a water bottle that fits in my bag without leaking.)

Thanks!

Dustbunny 07-01-2013 12:49 AM

A small mini sanitary pad and enough vetwrap to get around a leg as a bandage. A copy of ID in case you and the horse part company. A dog tag with your name and phone # works too. This will help someone return the horse.

Keep the following on you, not in a saddle pack:
A copy of you health ins. card and name, address & phone and a note stating med. info in case you are not conscious.
A whistle on a cord. That sound carries!

And welcome to the forum!

phantomhorse13 07-01-2013 09:12 AM

I second the suggestion of some sort of bandaging materials. You never know when something unexpected is going to happen and its much better to carry it and not need it.

If you are having issues with your water bottle in your cantle bag, they make single, inexpensive water bottle holders that will attach independently.

Personally, I carry a fairly absurd amount of stuff in my saddle bags, but Dream once severed an artery in her leg on trail and since then, I carry a lot of stuff that I never did before (like a pair of hemostats and enough bandaging supplies to bandage an elephant ;) ) I think a small hoofpick would be a good addition, as well as some twine and a small amount of duct tape. I also carry a bandana and one of those dollar store ponchos (not so much to wear if it rains but in case I need to wrap something I don't want to be wet, etc).

AlabamaBelle 07-01-2013 10:28 PM

Water bottle clip-on holster

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantomhorse13 (Post 2940506)
If you are having issues with your water bottle in your cantle bag, they make single, inexpensive water bottle holders that will attach independently.

This is the one I use. I just got my first horse in April and my friend gave me this... it's one of my favorite pieces of tack :D

Weaver Clip-On Holsters w/Water Bottle, Water bottle holder, heavy duty, great for trail riding at TOHTC.com

Bayern 07-02-2013 09:54 AM

Searh this site or use google to find "Horse Trail riding checklist". I found some good checklists on line.