The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Insuring a stallion (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/insuring-stallion-223474/)

WhitePolos 06-30-2013 10:33 PM

Insuring a stallion

I am so sorry in advance, because I'm sure amongst the hundreds of threads, this has probably been brought up before. I did do a search but could not find a thread that answered the questions I have.

We have just recently purchased a weanling whom we are looking at not gelding and keeping a stallion. He has absolutely phenomenal conformation, temper, great lines. Of course he will have to prove himself, and we will make sure to do genetic testing etc.

That aside, what are some things for me to look at as far as insurances go? I know the equestrian federation membership will cover certain expenses in the event of an accident, but what other insurances should I be looking into if I am going to own a stallion? this boy will eventually be shown and will be doing hunters.

Would really appreciate to hear the expert advice from those who have owned, or currently own show studs.

Thanks so much!

My2Geldings 07-10-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhitePolos (Post 2937554)
I am so sorry in advance, because I'm sure amongst the hundreds of threads, this has probably been brought up before. I did do a search but could not find a thread that answered the questions I have.

We have just recently purchased a weanling whom we are looking at not gelding and keeping a stallion. He has absolutely phenomenal conformation, temper, great lines. Of course he will have to prove himself, and we will make sure to do genetic testing etc.

That aside, what are some things for me to look at as far as insurances go? I know the equestrian federation membership will cover certain expenses in the event of an accident, but what other insurances should I be looking into if I am going to own a stallion? this boy will eventually be shown and will be doing hunters.

Would really appreciate to hear the expert advice from those who have owned, or currently own show studs.

Thanks so much!

I don't believe there is insurance specifically for them unless you own a horse who's worth 6 digit figures and its done through special companies.

What I would recommend is to insure your stud through the regular insurance.
Posted via Mobile Device

WSArabians 07-11-2013 10:58 AM

We have equine insurance here (Shaw and McClean is who my stallions are insured with). For a $10,000 insurance policy it's about $350 a year, but make sure you get the "loss of stallion use" option as well. Make sure you know what type of plan you have and what exactly it covers.

dbarabians 07-14-2013 01:08 PM

Yes you can insure that prospect and as WSarabians stated get the extra coverage that applies to stallions.
I might even be able to insure Rushin Sam and he is 19. Good luck. Shalom

greentree 07-14-2013 05:33 PM

You have to prove he is worth the amount you want to insure him....so you usually cannot insure a $500.00 horse for $20,000.00. (just #'s I pulled out of my head)

If his sire's stud fee was high, that can be used, otherwise purchase price, amount of training, or show record are used.

Nancy

WSArabians 07-14-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greentree (Post 3056850)
You have to prove he is worth the amount you want to insure him....so you usually cannot insure a $500.00 horse for $20,000.00. (just #'s I pulled out of my head)

If his sire's stud fee was high, that can be used, otherwise purchase price, amount of training, or show record are used.

Nancy

Very true. They usually ensure for the purchase price. My one guy got an estimated value at $35,000 so his value was more then his purchase price - my other guy they also added the border/hauling fees into his price as well - that may be optional per insurance company.