The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Fly Mask at night (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/fly-mask-night-223649/)

Mochachino 07-01-2013 03:21 AM

Fly Mask at night

I used them in the day but the mosquitos were all over them tonight. Is it safe to use them at night. They have a small field/paddock that is attached to their stalls. Just wondering they were really annoyed by them tonight.

SouthernTrails 07-01-2013 03:41 AM

Horse can see a little better at night than a human can, so they should be OK.

kiwi79 07-01-2013 05:22 AM

I wouldn't but I guess if the turn-out area is small and level it would be safe enough.

OutOfTheLoop 07-01-2013 06:05 AM

I leave mine on all the time, ill take it off every few days to give his face a break. I don't make it to the barn everyday so it stays on for the most part.
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 07-01-2013 08:51 AM

I've left fly masks on over night, they seem to be fine with it. If the fly mask is on 24/7 I would be concerned about rubs on the face.

Saddlebag 07-01-2013 08:56 AM

If you can safely do so, why not burn a smudge of old hay and manure. The mosquitoes don't like the smoke and I promise the smoke doesn't stink. The remaining ashes are excellent for the garden. I sometimes wear a head net and it does limit vision as it gets darker so I would not leave a mask on a horse overnight.

countercanter 07-01-2013 10:34 AM

I am from South Florida and my old paint gelding has weepy eyes so the flies attack the poor old man's face. He wears a flymask all the time. I take it off once a day to give his face a break and check for rubs, clean up his eyes, etc.

Mochachino 07-01-2013 11:48 AM

Yes countercanter one of mine is older and he has blocked tear ducts where the vet has tried to unplug them but he has scar tissue up there and can't do it, so his eyes weep a lot which attracts bugs....poor guy. I'm not going to do it tonight as it is Canada day and there is going to be fireworks tonight which will probably get them going, but generally they are very quiet so I will try the next night.

Kayella 07-01-2013 12:06 PM

My pony keeps a mask on 24/7 during the summer. If I don't, the flies attack his eyes and they get puffy, red, and weep. Then he ends up rubbing them on the rusted pipe fence which makes them even more puffy and irritated. I take it off when I get there in the evenings so he gets a 1-2 hour break each day before I put it back on before I leave. He's never had a problem with it. It's got felt around the edges so that keeps it from rubbing.

Mochachino 07-01-2013 03:03 PM

Yeah I am really finding that a lot of people use them at night. Just never thought of it before and a lot of people around here say not to. I'm going to give it a shot I think tomorrow night. The little gnats are sooo bad this year, it is has been so wet and we had a mild winter.