The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Jolly Ball? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/jolly-ball-223890/)

Failbhe 07-01-2013 02:48 PM

Jolly Ball?

I'm just curious how many of you have tried giving your horse a Jolly Ball and how many have actually played with it vs. ignoring it.

I'm thinking of getting my minis a "Jolly Tug" to play with - it's a little bigger than the regular Jolly Ball (14" instead of 10") but I like that it has two handles so they can play tug of war with it (no idea if they will, but I like the idea).

It's not exactly a huge investment so I think I'll get one and take my chances on whether or not they'll touch the thing, but I'm just curious what other's experiences have been. :-)

DancingArabian 07-01-2013 02:51 PM

I sometimes let my horse play with a giant ball. He eventually breaks them so Ive stopped buying expensive ones and just buy the cheapie stability balls from Walmart. At $12 each he will usually get a couple months worth of fun from it.
Posted via Mobile Device

TimWhit91 07-01-2013 02:51 PM

I got my horse one. He ignores it and plays with his rubber feed bin instead. Oh well, it was cheap and my dog likes it

DuckDodgers 07-01-2013 02:59 PM

My horse is one who loves to grab his halter and launch it down the barn aisle, steal his neighbor's bell boots and launch those, drag his blanket into the stall with him, etc, so I bought him a Jolly Ball thinking that he would love it. He showed absolutely no interest. I tried shoving little pebbles into the hole so that it would make a shaking noise when he hit it, and there was still no interest. Put it on the ground thinking that maybe he'd kick it around. Nothing. This was all still happening while he was throwing his halter and anything else down the barn aisle, so I tried hanging the ball on the outside of his stall thinking that maybe he'd play with it if it seemed like some sort of deviant behavior. The ball wasn't touched, but I'd still find the halter on the ground! I finally ended up taking it down and giving it to a friend's horse, who loves it.

Despite my disappointing experience, I know several people whose horses love them. It isn't a lot of money to spend, but I'd still ask around and see if a friend has one you can use before going out and buying one that your horses may ignore. I ended up putting a hanging salt lick in my boy's stall and he loves to knock that around. Go figure!

SouthernTrails 07-01-2013 03:04 PM

Horses can be like your child, you buy them a 200.00 toy and they have more fun with the 5.00 box it came in.

One of our young Horses played with the ball we bought her, another youngster was scared of it, never can tell :lol::lol:

Failbhe 07-01-2013 03:13 PM

Well hopefully at least one of my 3 will like it, lol!

Corporal 07-01-2013 03:19 PM

I was given a Jolly Ball for Christmas, 2011. Buster Brown took to it immediately and carried it around, like a dog. Then, Cup&Cakes took a shine to it and played with it. Then they both learned from the dogs, started to use it as a tug toy and it...died.
Last Christmas I was given a dog Jolly Ball. My dog Rose plays with it all of the time and hasn't broken it yet. She will even put it in your lap if you are sitting so you'll throw it for her. She's part BC and still runs a lot, even at 6yo.

Failbhe 07-01-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 2943018)
started to use it as a tug toy and it...died.

:lol: That made me laugh. I'm hoping my minis will use it as a tug toy, that's why I want the one with two handles - we'll see!

So far my dogs have successfully destroyed every toy I've ever bought them in less than 10 minutes :-P

verona1016 07-01-2013 03:39 PM

I have the Jolly Stall Snack with Ball. I rarely catch him paying it any attention, but the treat part gets eaten, and every once in a while I find it knocked over the wall into the neighboring horse's stall, so he must be playing with it pretty hard at some point (either that or the stall cleaner gets frustrated with it hanging down in the middle of the stall and is the one to toss it over... ;-))

littrella 07-01-2013 03:48 PM

I hung my Jolly Ball from a rope & my mini donkey loves kocking it around. On the ground, he ignored it. He prefers his plastic coffee can with un cooked macaroni in it. makes lots of noise as he pushes it around