The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Mould on Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/mould-saddle-22393/)

makin tracks 02-11-2009 01:26 AM

Mould on Saddle

I am really annoyed with myself.

I put my stock saddle in the boot of my car and left it there. That was okay, but I found the boot had been leaking and there was water in it. I didn't have the brains to think 'Hmm, water. Could make the saddle go mouldy. Must move it'. NO!! I left it there and now it is horribly mouldy.

Now I can clean the leather, but does anyone have a suggestion how to kill the mould in the stuffing and counterlining (material)??

Please put it in words of one sillybul (yes spelt wrongly but totally appropriate for this occasion), I'm a bit dumb

ShowJumpLife 02-11-2009 03:21 AM

rhmmm i would think water would dry your saddle out not make it mouldy but okayy.
clean it with saddle sopa and then cover it in vasilene if your not useing it.

makin tracks 02-11-2009 04:24 AM

It's so humid here at the present time (our wet season), nothing dries out completely. Leather usually goes a bit mouldy at this time but normally the counterlining doesn't (for some reason) but it is really, really bad now.

I'll give it a clean tonight but I need to try to kill the mould without hurting the stuffing & counterlining whilst i wait for it to dry out.

It stopped raining today so if it holds off tomorrow and I get sun, I might get it dry but if the rain comes back then - not a hope.

Midwest Paint 02-11-2009 08:37 AM

You can use either a clorox or vinegar mix with water (1-10 ratio) and is will kill the mold on those areas. I prefer the clorox, but you have to be careful with it and make sure its diluted cause you dont want to bleach any of the color out of the leather.

iridehorses 02-11-2009 09:05 AM

I've gotten some nice buys on moldy saddles that people did not know how to handle. What I've done is to find a nice sunny day, get out the glycerin (or saddle soap) and go at it. I will scrub it well everywhere then hose it down. Leave it in indirect sunlight to dry. Once it is dry, I go over it again with glycerin (saddle soap) and oil it. That's it. One thing to keep in mind is that you need to get at every square inch of the saddle.

Personally I don't like the idea of bleech even if it is diluted.

Walkamile 02-11-2009 09:23 AM

I've also used diluted vinegar, worked very well. Can't see where the vinegar or bleach would hurt the stuffing or counterlining at all. Be sure that everything gets to dry very well before conditioning.

makin tracks 02-12-2009 12:54 AM

Thanks guys. I managed to clean it today and put it in the sun for 2 hours before the rain came again. At least it got dry. I took a punt and sprayed with exit mould. I rinsed it off the leather pretty quick but left it on the counterlining. I'll see how it goes otherwise I'll be sure to try your suggestions.
Hadn't even thought of vinegar!